The Best Kind of Therapy?

2 minute read time.

I'M BUYING A PUPPY!!!!!!!!

Ok, call me crazy. In the midst of chemo. On death's door much of the time through nausea and exhaustion (well, mostly exhaustion actually), but I'm buying a puppy! Am I crackers?

I used to have a dog years ago. Loved her to bits. She was a Golden Cocker Spaniel and I shared many happy times with her. Now, years later, I have been thinking about getting a dog (particularly since I got divorced two years ago and moved house). My kids want a dog too. For the last 6 months, even my boyfriend has been driving me mad for a dog! However, I kept telling myself I couldn't be bothered with the walking and scooping up of poo!

Then, my sister phoned me on Friday. "Do you want to see the new addition to our family?" she asked. "OH MY GOD.... YOU'VE GOT A DOG!!!!!" I screamed at her! "Yep!". So I went round. OMG, this dog is sooooo cute. A 9 week old Golden Cocker Spaniel (she's always copied me lol!). So, I went round. This dog, she's on my lap. Well, that was it. Suddenly all the amazing memories of having a dog came flooding back. The companionship. The unconditional love. The loyalty. Their 'sixth sense' when you're not well. All of it. So, that was it. Decision made.

I spent the next 5 hours surfing the internet. I've always known what dog I would get. A Cockerpoo. It's a Cocker Spaniel and Toy Poodle mix. The Spaniel bit, because I've always adored the breed and the poodle bit because they don't moult (or very little) and are hypoallergenic (my daughter and I are mild asthmatics).  Of course, it would have to be golden and female too (because of my old dog). Then, my research paid off. I found one. The only one in the bloody country with the right breed, colour and sex. 

So, the next day (Saturday), my boyfriend and I drove 200 miles to see it and it's mother. ADOREABLE. Fell in love. My boyfriend says it's the first time for ages he's seen me smile so much. I couldn't let this dog go. We stayed there for 2 hours! I didn't want to leave her. My boyfriend had to peel me away! I put a deposit down on her. We'll collect her in 3 weeks time (she's only 4 weeks old at the moment).

Told the kids last night. They went crazy! They were so excited. Everyone will help look after her. It's going to be a wonderful addition to our little family. I'm really happy for the first time in ages. Really excited (er.... can you tell lol!!) Something really positive to look forward to. She'll come everywhere with me. She'll get me out and about during the day (I have been a hermit for weeks now), and offer me lovely company all the time.  The best kind of therapy.... what do you think?

Here she is...

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hello Mona

Oh she So beauitfull

A dog or cat are great company,she will always be pleased to see you and no matter what the weather you will be out walking her and that can only be a good thing.

I have a house full of pets, a golden retrever, cat,rabbit,hamster,goldfish and 2 shetland ponies (ponies aren't in the house but you know what I mean)

Helen

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Aaaaaaaaaaah, she looks lovely. I've got a black cocker spaniel called Molly. We had her when she was almost 3 and she wasn't house trained as she'd been used as a working dog. It wasn't a problem as she soon got used to going out to the garden for wees and she has certainly made herself at home....she's got us wrapped round her little paw!. I wouldn't be without her, she is the sweetest, loving little dog ever. I'm sure your new puppy will give you lots of joy and even more love. What are you going to call her?

Angela x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Good call Mona.

Hope its not from a puppy farm !!!!

Cheers,  Mike

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

She's beautiful, good for you, you're right, the best therapy there is, the joy and love you get in return, is second to none, i have two dogs myself, and wouldn't be without them.So what, a few hairs, or little puddles on the carpet, not important, you enjoy  your new family member. Abigail

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

You mad fool!!!  

*Coughs*, actually I did the exact same thing!  Had wanted a new dog for ages so taking advantage of the fact that I would have 12 weeks off work to recover from a hysterectomy we acquired Toby (photo on my profile) a blue roan cocker!  He's now 10 months old, and when I look at the shredded egg box and two magazines (5 minutes work) currently littering the lounge carpet, I wonder why.  When he breathes on me, I wonder why (and I wonder why no-one warned me about cocker breath!), but when I look at his face or he gives me a high five, I know why!

I hope she brings you endless joy and she really is quite gorgeous!

Marsha x