The Best Kind of Therapy?

2 minute read time.

I'M BUYING A PUPPY!!!!!!!!

Ok, call me crazy. In the midst of chemo. On death's door much of the time through nausea and exhaustion (well, mostly exhaustion actually), but I'm buying a puppy! Am I crackers?

I used to have a dog years ago. Loved her to bits. She was a Golden Cocker Spaniel and I shared many happy times with her. Now, years later, I have been thinking about getting a dog (particularly since I got divorced two years ago and moved house). My kids want a dog too. For the last 6 months, even my boyfriend has been driving me mad for a dog! However, I kept telling myself I couldn't be bothered with the walking and scooping up of poo!

Then, my sister phoned me on Friday. "Do you want to see the new addition to our family?" she asked. "OH MY GOD.... YOU'VE GOT A DOG!!!!!" I screamed at her! "Yep!". So I went round. OMG, this dog is sooooo cute. A 9 week old Golden Cocker Spaniel (she's always copied me lol!). So, I went round. This dog, she's on my lap. Well, that was it. Suddenly all the amazing memories of having a dog came flooding back. The companionship. The unconditional love. The loyalty. Their 'sixth sense' when you're not well. All of it. So, that was it. Decision made.

I spent the next 5 hours surfing the internet. I've always known what dog I would get. A Cockerpoo. It's a Cocker Spaniel and Toy Poodle mix. The Spaniel bit, because I've always adored the breed and the poodle bit because they don't moult (or very little) and are hypoallergenic (my daughter and I are mild asthmatics).  Of course, it would have to be golden and female too (because of my old dog). Then, my research paid off. I found one. The only one in the bloody country with the right breed, colour and sex. 

So, the next day (Saturday), my boyfriend and I drove 200 miles to see it and it's mother. ADOREABLE. Fell in love. My boyfriend says it's the first time for ages he's seen me smile so much. I couldn't let this dog go. We stayed there for 2 hours! I didn't want to leave her. My boyfriend had to peel me away! I put a deposit down on her. We'll collect her in 3 weeks time (she's only 4 weeks old at the moment).

Told the kids last night. They went crazy! They were so excited. Everyone will help look after her. It's going to be a wonderful addition to our little family. I'm really happy for the first time in ages. Really excited (er.... can you tell lol!!) Something really positive to look forward to. She'll come everywhere with me. She'll get me out and about during the day (I have been a hermit for weeks now), and offer me lovely company all the time.  The best kind of therapy.... what do you think?

Here she is...

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Monna

She looks adorable.

We also had a golden cocker spaniel when I was young - when my Dad was alive - he used to call it a thief, cheat and a liar!  She was lovely really but used to steal food from everywhere.

As for going for a walk - it only wanted to sit inthe car - it was absolutely terrified of other dogs.

lots of love Maralyn x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Mona - she is gorgeous!  I think you've made the right decision, clearly your reaction on seeing her also shows she's the one!

Enjoy x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Monna,

I could feel your happiness hun, she is gorgeous and will be just the tonic that you need, cant think of anything nice to snuggle up to when feeling low.

take care love Terri xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Monna, what a fab idea! i have been wanting a puppy for ages but im really unsure because i have 2 18mth old cats that i love to bits and dont want to upset them. Does anyone have any advice about this? Is it more fair to the cats if i dont get a pooch?

Monna, i know certainly my cats get sooooo affectionate when i am feeling really rubbish, they are the best, i just wish i could walk them too lol

take care

anna

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

AWWWW shes the cutest little thing ever!! I think its a great idea to get a puppy, its obviously made you happy and thats fab! I got a Pomeranian last September, her name is CocoBelle. She is crazy but as she is a toy breed she isnt too overbearing. I didnt find training her too difficult and as she is small only needs short walks or a good run in the garden. I got a crate for her to sleep in overnight and when we went out and it worked really well.  At first she used to mess in it but at least it was confined to one area, also you dont have to worry about coming home to chewed up shoes/furniture!!  Its a personal choice as some people feel they are cruel but lots of breeders etc recommened crates. May be something to consider to make things a bit easier, especially through your treatment.

Love chrissi xxx