First blog, get up to speed!... 11/10/2013

1 minute read time.

Hi

I have decided to write a blog to share my experiences and feelings on having to deal with someone close being diagnosed with Cancer. I hopefully want to help others deal with situations they face or get advice on ways I can deal with my situation.

Just to get you up to speed, in August 2011 my mum had an operation to remove her Kidney due to Cancer. In May 2012 we had the devasting news that the Cancer had returned in her lungs and unfortunately their was nothing they could do for her, no treatment, no operation! Lots of emotions running through my head. Why us? Why my mum? Why can't they operate or give her medication?

Life expectancy given was 12-18months, on a scale of things this just didnt seem long enough! However nearly 18 months on we have had a roller coaster of a ride to say the least! Lost of positive results coming back and then just recently we had the news that the Cancer was now in her Liver.

Another consultation later and we are still in the same position of no treatment, no operations.

I have 2 sisters (one older, one younger) and we all deal with the situation in completely different ways! Sometimes we daren't discuss it at risk of upsetting the other. Not sure if this is a good thing?

My mum is off for her next hospital appointment on Monday 14th October to see her consultant to discuss 'what happens next' hopefully we can get a bit more information on what we face next as at the moment I feel that the situation is just a ticking time bomb waiting to explode! 

If anybody is facing or has faced a similiar situation I would be grateful to hear what your thoughts are, any advice on how you have dealt with it.

Thank you  

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

HI EMMA FIRST IM SO SORRY ABOUT YOUR MUM AND SENDING BIG HUGS TO YOU ALL

I LOST MY DAD TO CANCER IN 2005 HE WAS A FIGHTER AND LASTED LONGER THAN EXPECTED HE WAS A STUBBORN OLD GOAT X

I WAS DIAGNOSED MYSELF IN  2010 SO I CAN SEE FROM BOTH SIDES AND I REALLY SYMPATHISE WITH YOU AS ITS SO HARD SEEING YOUR PARENT LIKE THAT -THEYRE SUPPOSED TO BE THE STRONG ONES AND LOOK AFTER US 

IM SURE YOU AND YOUR SISTERS ARE DOING AN AMAZING JOB OF LOOKING AFTER YOUR MUM.AND LIKE YOU SAID EVERYONE COPES IN DIFFERENT WAYS THATS WHY I FIND THIS SITE SO GOOD 

I CAN COME ON AND SAY THINGS THAT I CANT SAY TO MY PARTNER OR FAMILY AND FRIENDS BECAUSE I DONT WANT TO UPSET THEM 

JUST MAKE SURE YOURE THERE FOR EACH OTHER FAMILY IS SO IMPORTANT AND YOU WILL NEED EACH OTHER 

WISHING YOUR MUM ALL THE BEST WITH HER APPOINTMENT AND HOPE SHE GETS POSITIVE NEWS 

TAKE CARE LOVE MISSY XX

• FormerMember
    FormerMember
    Hi Missy Thank you for your comment it's reassuring to hear that what I'm feeling is 'normal' and that there are people that will understand! I think you've hit the nail on the head really.... Our parents have spent so long looking after us that it's so hard when the tables switch! I have a real strong family network and my partner is amazing so I'm sure we will deal with whatever comes next. Wishing you and your family all the best also Emma xx