Tues 23rd- First day after husband's first chemo.

1 minute read time.

Day 13 since diagnosis.( Husband has stage 4 lung cancer with mets to liver and pancreas) My husband, Alan, had chemo yesterday. His first cycle of three.When i woke up he was crying and he has been asleep on and off all day. He managed some soup which was good and has been listening to music .This does comfort him alot. My son and daughter are 12 and 13 and they have been in and out of the house but i think it is starting to hit them how ill he really is. I will be glad when they are at school and getting support from all their friends. I feel a bit guilty as my husband was out of work last summer so we did not go anywhere on holiday or day trips and now we are in this situation.They are such lovely children and really do understand why we are at home alot but i feel a bit sad all the same that we are not rushing here and there like we used to.One thing i have found hard in these early days is remembering to update family and friends and fielding their phone calls.I keep forgetting who i have told what. I suppose i should start writing things down but i have never been very organised!I managed to get six hours sleep last night which was great! Of course i feel all the more tired for getting some sleep at last. Typical! I am hoping that Alan will feel ok later on today and tonight. The only symptoms at the moment are fatique and hiccups.He is emotionally drained though and sad, because up until yesterday he was whizzing here and there and pottering about. I really hope he feels a bit stronger in the next few days..

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Emily,

My dad had lung cancer with secondaries and had palliative chemo. He had two cycles and the only side effect he had was tiredness. We found the easiest way to keep track of what we'd told people and to keep everyone up to speed without sending umpteen texts and re-writing the same things over and over was to send out regular email bulletins. We made a list of all the people who wanted to keep in touch, got all their email addresses and sent out a weekly (or towards the end twice weekly) update telling everyone how he was, what he'd been up to and what was going on. It saved the constant texts and phone calls! Maybe it'd work for you too? Tkae care of yourself, love Vikki xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Emily, what chemo has he had?  My dad has stage 4 SCLC with spread and he is on carboplatin and etoposide, just about to have his second cycle.  He did really well on the chemo and like Alan had hiccups and was tired but that was all.  An xray last week showed an improvement in his lung tumor already so be positive and stage strong xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thank you all for your lovely and supportive comments! It's great not to feel so alone :)