Dyad's second time around

• Many a mickle makes a muckle

FormerMember
    FormerMember

I’m not really sure what that means, but I think it means that big things are made up of lots of small things.  And that’s the case with my cancer.  For all I know, it may be like this for anyone whose cancer has metastasised.  Before I had cancer, I just assumed that it was one big thing, and maybe that’s how it is with people who have one solid tumour.  But mine, because it had already spread to lymph…

• Hospice doctor to the rescue

FormerMember
    FormerMember

I’ve had a week or so to absorb the new reality of not looking forward to any more treatment.  Actually, it’s a relief.  We have been able to book an exciting summer holiday, accept invitations to visit friends and plan some weekends away.  Of course, this is all predicated on my being well enough at the time, and that isn’t always the case.  For example, this week I’ve had at least three really c**p days…

• No more treatment

FormerMember
    FormerMember

There – I’ve said it.  There’s not much more to say, really, but I’d like to put down a bit of detail here as much for my own clarification as for anyone else who’s reading this.  For one thing, every cancer case is so individual.  There’s no one else who would have exactly my pathology, so in a way you could say that whatever I write here isn’t hugely helpful to others.  However…

• The NHS meltdown - at first hand

FormerMember
    FormerMember

There's been a lot in the news over the last couple of days about how A&E departments are cracking under the strain of too many patients.  And this weekend we got to see what's happening at first hand.

I had a GP appointment on Friday morning.  Initially it had been simply to renew some prescriptions, but for the last few weeks my abdomen has been swelling up, and by the end of last week it was barely endurable…

• When Christmas isn't all it's cracked up to be

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Well, it's Christmas Eve and another Christmas nearly over, thank goodness.  At least we've got the 'run-up to Christmas' behind us now.  It seems to go on for ever and ever these days - a month or more when we're expected to be excited, jolly, anticipatory, full of fun etc etc.  And now we've entered a fortnight of enforced inactivity because the country practically closes down for what is laughingly…