Reverse, Reverse. (cha cha real slow)

2 minute read time.

Back to the now well trodden corridors of the hospital and it was nice to see my consultant in plain clothes for a change (rather than latex gloves etc....).

He's a very nice chap and we get on well cos he likes beer and football, but NHS deadlines prevent us from getting into much more than a couple of lines of chit chat, today was just comparing injuries. Anyway today's appointment was a bit of mystery to me and so once we got off the injury subject he said "Now would you like to get rid of your baggy and have a reversal". Oooh I can have one then, all the tests have shown my rectum is once again back to its old self, if a little shorter!

He then spent 5 minutes telling me all the possible nasty side effects and the very small % of people that get them, so the chances are very small, hmmm.... Risk 1) After they reconnect you they have no idea how long your bowels will take to start working properly again (some never do). Risk 2) They don't know if you will regain the ability to "hold it in" and "push it out" (you get the picture) it takes time for the body to learn this again. I didn't realise reversal meant you go back to being like a baby!!!!!

Other risks ain't worth mentioning really. But after all this he says "we just don't know how anyone will react after the reversal op, we have no way of telling. Do you still want to go ahead and have the reversal?" I wanted to say do bears sh&t in the woods, but said "why of course, it will be fun finding out".

So the die is cast, and I ask "when will the op be, before Xmas?", silence before Oh leaned one says  "Hmmm not likely cos I'm going on holiday for the whole of November. Probably next year".  "But I want to go to a ball in February, will I be able to go?" I ask hoping to get him to "do me" in Dec. Oh skillfull one says" Oh yes, you should be able to go but sit near the loos."

Finally I am also going to get my first post op scan, but only cos I asked if this would happen, apparently they (or he) don't see much value in them, but he said we will do them as a routine.

So that is it, as far as I'm concerned it's full steam ahead, to reversal.

Tight Lines

Tim xxx

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Tim!

Yay for full steam ahead in a reverse kind if way ....... I think that made sense!

So, where we having this ball then... and don't know *where* you got the idea that anyone was a loon from.... ;)

Huge cwtchs to you all

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Tim, great news! I'll hope to see you bag-free in February! Mind you, if you're sticking with the theme of separate tables, I'll probably have to have mine outside, as a smoker with lung cancer... Either that, or I stick enough nicotine patches to describe it as my ballgown, that and the madonna cones!

Here's hoping you don't have to wait too long. Lots of love, Ann x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Grand news Tim! A reversal, lovely. Does this mean you won't have to join the back of toilet queues but will be able to barge straight to the front? Good luck for a date sometime soon. And how good does being a consultant sound, getting to go on holiday for WHOLE MONTH?? I really should have concentrated harder at school and gone down that road, sigh.

Hope the man flu is under control, love Vikki x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

So glad that I ate my brekkie before reading your blog, Tim ! Great news and all the best ! 

Love, Joycee xx 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

As I am always on my own in the naughty corner and even my cancer is so rare that there is almost no one in my group, except some tumbleweed (he's very nice tumbleweed, don't get me wrong... ) I am not a happy bunny at the thought of separate tables for behaviour or cancer types or anything except the 'warped gang' table (commonly known as loons)

OK? Warped table it is then. And it needs to be near the loos for Tim and the doors for Sunny... hmmm I have been sat at those kind of tables before ha ha.

Thanks for the 'less risks' that's the kind of comment I like- not that I wish you any risks of course, but you know what I mean. Different cancer, different treatment different bag etc think I get my own set of risks... I get a continence test first ha ha better start swotting up eh? That's going to be a dignified occasion now isn't it. ha ha ha.

Hope you are still not getting any work done and managing to play with us...

Little My xxx