Reverse, Reverse. (cha cha real slow)

2 minute read time.

Back to the now well trodden corridors of the hospital and it was nice to see my consultant in plain clothes for a change (rather than latex gloves etc....).

He's a very nice chap and we get on well cos he likes beer and football, but NHS deadlines prevent us from getting into much more than a couple of lines of chit chat, today was just comparing injuries. Anyway today's appointment was a bit of mystery to me and so once we got off the injury subject he said "Now would you like to get rid of your baggy and have a reversal". Oooh I can have one then, all the tests have shown my rectum is once again back to its old self, if a little shorter!

He then spent 5 minutes telling me all the possible nasty side effects and the very small % of people that get them, so the chances are very small, hmmm.... Risk 1) After they reconnect you they have no idea how long your bowels will take to start working properly again (some never do). Risk 2) They don't know if you will regain the ability to "hold it in" and "push it out" (you get the picture) it takes time for the body to learn this again. I didn't realise reversal meant you go back to being like a baby!!!!!

Other risks ain't worth mentioning really. But after all this he says "we just don't know how anyone will react after the reversal op, we have no way of telling. Do you still want to go ahead and have the reversal?" I wanted to say do bears sh&t in the woods, but said "why of course, it will be fun finding out".

So the die is cast, and I ask "when will the op be, before Xmas?", silence before Oh leaned one says  "Hmmm not likely cos I'm going on holiday for the whole of November. Probably next year".  "But I want to go to a ball in February, will I be able to go?" I ask hoping to get him to "do me" in Dec. Oh skillfull one says" Oh yes, you should be able to go but sit near the loos."

Finally I am also going to get my first post op scan, but only cos I asked if this would happen, apparently they (or he) don't see much value in them, but he said we will do them as a routine.

So that is it, as far as I'm concerned it's full steam ahead, to reversal.

Tight Lines

Tim xxx

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Excellent news Tim! 

Much love,

Chrissie x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hey Tim

Good news (I think)! Think you and LM may be fighting to get nearest seat to the loos. Is there going to be a special 'baggy' table, because I'll be excluded. Mind you, Cariad and I can join up on the Hodgkins table. Are you going to have a table plan with each table named after our specialities?

How dare your consultant put going on holiday above doing your reversal. We would not have any of the procedures if you took into account the disadvantages/ things that go wrong, and sometimes the opposite could not be contemplated. Enjoy the coming months, and think about it in the new year.

Have a beer in celebration, and I'll have a glass of red wine ("Any blooming excuse!" I hear you say)

Tight lines

Louise xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

hEY tIM, Oh dear what happened there?

try again. Hey Tim. that's better. I follow in your hallowed footsteps... I am meeting GC on Friday to play hunt Rolos and that and he said last time he would refer me to the other not G - C for mine around Christmas time ha ha ha probably more like summer eh? but maybe we will get them at the same time??? Wonder if we could transfer hospitals so we could be in the same one? That would be funny. Mind you, might bust a few stitches so maybe better we are not in the same hossy.

I don't like the sound of the risks... hmmmm. Maybe baggy is best? hmmm. I will be watching you very carefully, but not too closely (yeauch, splat stink etc) to see how it goes.... so better hurry up so I don't do it first... want to see what happens to you first.

Glad other things were ok... and you don't sound so bunged up today... man flu going? good.

Ha ha that you can go to the ball Cinderella, even if you do have to sit by the loo... don't think that will get you out of your speech though! Actually I wrote an assembly for school last week that I thought might make a good speech for the ball.... will let you see if you want- guaranteed to get them digging in their pockets and its all about us lot.

Got to go and catch up with everyone...

Light tines and a big hug to you

Little My

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

This is good news. At least, I hope it's good news. I shall carry on hoping.

I do sometimes wish doctors were not quite so cavalier. It may be routine to them, but it's some other poor soul's bum!

Hilary x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thank you all for the comments!

I forgot to say that the reversal op itself will be about 45 mins and the C said "it would be a walk in the park compared to what you had before!"

Louise - I like the idea of table names, but I think one table name will do...."loons". I had a tiny glass of whisky last night to see off the last of my sore throat, so belated cheers!

LM - I think you have a lot less risks than me, as you have most of your "bowels" in use due to your colostomy, my bag means all of my large bowel has been hibernating! I think being in the same hospital would be a bad idea, sausages everywhere (ha ha). I would like to see that speech must have been a good un, Good luck Friday!

Hilary - It is good news that all the surgery worked and I can now think about going back to a bag free life again (remember you can call me Dyson after the op).

Tight Lines

Tim xxx