80's fan has a Pre-op

2 minute read time.

Well had a visit to the hospital this week, just a simple pre-operative assessment that last time took 90 mins. As usual my arrival lowered the average age of the persons in the room. There was a delay in my being seen ("never" I hear you say)  and I got chatting to an older lady and her son in the waiting room. She said to me "would you believe I had a heart attack recently and it saved my life!" ummm not really no! Turns out when they did an MRI scan on her ticker they found a tiny tumour on her lung, she was a lovely lady.

Anyway I digress, finally I get seen and the nurse said that I looked very well, oh not another one. Actually it was not an emotional response it was her way of saying I don't think I need to ask you all these questions! So we zoomed through the list of "important" stuff, had BP and pulse checked and finally take some blood and done! Oh and here is your bag of pre-op drinks to take before your op, but I don't know when my op is yet. All I know is that I could be lucky and have the op done by Christmas, but as having a reversal is low priority it can often be cancelled. Oh well, might as well put the drinks in that dark and dingy corner of the kitchen or up in the loft.

It was my first time back in hospital since a visit to the stoma nurse, and no disrespect to older people (cos I love you) but it does me get down when I sit in a room of 70+ years old people and I've got the same issues as them and the old brain starts going "why me?".  Not long after though and I'm back on macland (well the bits I can get onto) and managing to get to talk to a few friends who are in the same boat and the brain clears again. Another thing that seems to help me keep sane is music, but  I seem to be becoming like my Dad was when I was young, and listening to the music of my youth, I've got 80's music on all the time!

I think this site needs Scotty off Star Trek to sort it out, cos it certainly isn't running at warp speed. "Och Captain I cannee give her anymore she'll blow."

Tight Lines

Tim xxx

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

We canae get the power capt'in

xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Blimey Tim.. what hospital do you go to that gives you pre op drinks? G&T's on the terrace,  or Pimms on the lawn?

I want mine done there too.

Big hug to you 80's boy.. I was listening to a few the other day..  Oh dear....

Right, off to move house.

Bug hug slack lines snigger

Little My xxxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I go to the Bristol Royal Infirmary. It must be the Royal part that makes it so good Little My!

Tim xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

You could always save those pre-op drinks and serve them to visitors at Christmas :-)

Perhaps if I'd had a heart attack I might have been treated sooner.....a year with rash and breathlessness and a week in hospital and a misdiagnosis until my doc requested a 2nd opinion. It sounds as if she may have the same problem as me...except mine was attached to heart, lung and blood vessels by the time they found it.....not exactly hiding as it was the size of a flattened football!!!

I was the old person with Hodgkins.....51years old. When i had radiotherapy I was in the same group as 4 men being treated for prostate cancer. That was a laugh as they were all over 80 and comparing menopausal symptoms LOL

xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Now there's an idea, I can pass the drinks off as milkshakes to all the neices and nephews, thanks Stinker!

Goodness me you had a rough time of it, how long ago did they find the flattened football?

I will post on my experiences in hospital soon, some of the old boys on my ward made me laugh too!

Tim xxx