Community News

These news items are generated and published by Macmillan's Online Community Team. In this section you’ll find some posts written by the Online Community team in partnership with our Cancer Information Development team. We also feature personal stories from our members.

Browse by topics

Community updates     Cancer Awareness     Tips, ideas and recipes       

Cancer stories     Supporting someone with cancer    Art, photography and creative writing

Latest Posts

• Cancer & me 35 years on - Vol 10 'A Chance encounter'

'Cancer & me 35 years on, Vol 10' written over a photograph of lots of tubes of paints and paintbrushes laid out on a wooden table.

We are back today with a further instalment of Willo's blog series 'Cancer & me 35 years on.' Willo is a member of our Community who was diagnosed with Anal cancer in 1986 while living in Zambia and has been sharing her experience of life post diagnosis, as well as her amazing artwork, in her blog series with us.

So far Willo has covered her experience of moving back to England for treatment, her Br…

• Let's talk about treatment: sinus cancer and surgery.

A black and white portrait image of Dan, wearing a patch over one eye.

Dan (pictured above), known on the site as Defiantlydisfigured, was diagnosed with squamous cell carcinoma in the ethmoid sinus in 2012, which is a very rare type of cancer. He underwent surgery, radiotherapy and chemotherapy. Dan found support from sharing his story online in blog posts and on social media, and he continues to raise awareness for facial cancers.

I was 34 and told that I had a large tumour growing inside…

• “I was diagnosed at 24” - Sophie’s story

"Sophie's story" written over a picture of Sophie before surgery, and four months after her surgery.

Image: Sophie (left) just after being discharged from hospital, and Sophie (right) 4 months after surgery.

Sophie found out that she had the BRCA2 gene mutation at 24, which increases the risks for certain cancers. Sophie opted to have a double mastectomy, as a preventative surgery. In her guest blog today, Sophie talks about her decision, navigating the healthcare system and finding support.

I’m Sophie, 28 years old…