Community News

These news items are generated and published by Macmillan's Online Community Team. In this section you’ll find some posts written by the Online Community team in partnership with our Cancer Information Development team. We also feature personal stories from our members.

Browse by topics

Community updates     Cancer Awareness     Tips, ideas and recipes       

Cancer stories     Supporting someone with cancer    Art, photography and creative writing

Latest Posts

• Cancer & me 35 years on - Vol 6 - The Abdominoperineal Resection with Colostomy

The words 'Cancer & me 35 years on - vol 6' written in pink over an image of a green field on a sunny day.

Today in our Community News blog Willo is back with the sixth instalment of her guest blog series called ‘Cancer & me 35 years on’. In this series, Willo, known on the Community as patsyann85, tells us about her experience of being diagnosed with Anal cancer in 1986 while living in Zambia. We will be sharing more of Willo’s writing and incredible artwork throughout the next few months in the Community…

• "I think the power of song is massively understated..." - Music and your wellbeing...

FormerMember
    FormerMember

"Music and your wellbeing" written over a picture of a wooden ukelele

Whatever the difficulties you might be facing in life right now, listening to or playing music helps people cope – it’s a way of expressing how we feel, and for many people an accessible way of venting difficult thoughts or emotions.

Music can energise us, reduce stress and promote wellbeing – it’s no surprise then that music, your favourite artists and songs are a regular topic of discussion across the Community…

• "I felt as though I was in a dream" - Janet's story

Today in Community news, we’re sharing Shaun’s story from his wife Janet’s perspective. If you missed Shaun talking about his experiences with head and neck cancer, click here to catch up.

A photograph of a man and a woman, with Christmas lights in the background. The man has his arm around the woman, and they are both smiling at the camera and wearing warm winter clothes.

I always felt sad for anyone that had got any type of cancer, but nothing had prepared me for the long road to come.

When my husband found out he had cancer in his left tonsil and lymph nodes, we were devastated.