Where do you find support online?

Less than one minute read time.

Hi everyone, 

It's Eliza from the Community team. Finding the right support for you when you're going through an experience with cancer is really important. We're interested to know whether you use other support groups outside the Online Community. 

You'll see the poll below this post, where you can vote to let us know. 

Making the Online Community better for you is at the heart of everything we do. If you'd like to talk to us to offer feedback about the Online Community, please remember you can email the Community team at any time at community@macmillan.org.uk

Anonymous
  • Hi

Thank you for your comment, I hope you don’t mind me responding today, my name is Rachel and I work as part of the Community team here at Macmillan. Thank you for sharing your experience of who you turn to for support online outside of the Online Community, I am glad to hear that you have such a good family support network.

I am also glad to hear that you are interested in volunteering with Macmillan. Thank you so much for your interest and for taking the time to look into volunteer roles. I’m sorry that you haven’t found any volunteering opportunities in your area, the best place to find the most up to date information about volunteering roles is in our ‘Volunteering village’ on the Macmillan website.

If you are interested in volunteering here on Macmillan’s Community, you can also find out more about our Community Champion Volunteer role by clicking here.

I hope this information is useful but if you have any questions, or if you need any support, you can email the team at community@macmillan.org.uk

Kindest regards,

Rachel
    Macmillan’s Community team

• Hi

Thank you for your comment, I hope you don’t mind me responding today, my name is Rachel and I work as part of the Community team here at Macmillan. I’m glad to here that you have previously found the Community to be a source of support and that you felt well supported by our members.  

I was sorry however, to hear that you were not able to navigate the site or access tech help after the recent upgrade Jenny. I can appreciate that sounds frustrating and, though I am glad that you are now back on the site, I can appreciate how it might cause anxiety to post after not being on the site for a while.

We applied the Community upgrade based on members’ feedback, as making the site better for you is at the heart of everything we do. We know that sometimes these changes can cause issues, but long term they will help to provide a more stable and better functioning site for everyone.

I hope that you feel more comfortable navigating the site soon and do know that if you have any questions, or ever need any support, you can contact the Community team by emailing community@macmillan.org.uk.

You may also find it useful to have a look at our new and updated ‘Help section’. Here you will find our ‘Help pages’, ‘FAQ’s (or frequently asked questions)’, and our ‘Help group’ where members can post any technical questions they may have and a member of the team will aim to respond within two working days.

I hope that the above information is useful but please don’t hesitate to get in touch with the team if you need any further support.

Kindest regards,

Rachel

• Hi ,

Thank you for your comment, I hope you don’t mind me responding today, my name is Rachel and I work as part of the Community team here at Macmillan. I was so sorry to hear from your post about your cancer diagnosis and everything you have been through. I’m also sorry to hear that you have found it difficult to connect with others online about this.

The Community is a place of peer support and, if you did want to interact with others about anything you may have been through, the best place to start would be to post in one of our ‘Discussion groups’ about your situation. Our discussion groups are divided into Cancer types’ and ‘Cancer experiences’.

We have a discussion group for those who have been affected by ‘Oesophageal cancer’ as well as our ‘Cancer surgery’ group that you might find helpful to post in. We also have a group called ‘Life after cancer’ which is for those who have finished treatment, which you may also find useful. I hope that you find these groups a source of comfort and support at this time.

I hope this information is useful but if you have any questions, or ever need any support, please don’t hesitate to get back in touch with the Community team by emailing community@macmillan.org.uk.

Kindest regards,

Rachel
    Macmillan’s Community team.

• Hi everyone,

My name is Rachel and I work as part of the Community team along side and I just wanted to thank you all for your comments and for letting us know the where you find support online outside of the Community.

All your comments and responses are very useful and will help us to shape the Community going forwards and make it the best place it can be for our members.

If you have any questions or ever need any support, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with the Community team by emailing community@macmillan.org.uk.

Kindest regards,

Rachel

• Don’t think I would have got through this journey without the lovely people on womb cancer forum. The online community has been a massive support and help.