The BICH is back!

1 minute read time.

No, it's not a spelling error. BICH stands for Benign IntraCranial Hypertension. It's a condition that I suffer from where the pressure of the Cerebro-Spinal fluid builds up and causes pressure on my brain. This results in severe headaches, dizziness, nausea (sometimes vomiting) and extreme tiredness.

The only treatment for this is lumbar puncture to relieve the pressure. Apparently there are diuretics available which work directly on the brain, but they are reluctant to prescribe them because of the severe side effects. I am lucky in that I have only ever had one lumbar puncture. I do get a flare up of the condition from time to time, but it usually settles on it's own, so fingers crossed that will be the same this time.

My problem this time is that the dizziness is really bad, worse than it has been in the last few flare ups.

Just have to take it in my stride! I need some luck in my life for a wee change, so maybe I will win the lottery tonight. First time I've bought a ticket since I can't remember when.

So, the dizzy blonde (all natural) will having everything crossed for tonight's draw hee hee.

Hope you are all having as good a weekend as possible.

Love, Christine xx

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

hate that dizzy feeling - hope you feel better soon xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Oh what a sh*t! Hope you get better soon hun, keeping more fingers crossed and sending healing hugs to you!

Ems xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Christine,

Vodka is after all alcohol and alcohol is medicinal (antibacterial etc), whats the chances of getting it on perscription???

Hope you feel better soon.

Hugs Helen xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Christine

You have my sympathy.  When Mags was first diagnosed, after months and months of being treated for Migraine by our GPs, it was an optician that set the ball rolling.  I'd asked Mags to get her eyes checked because I was worried about the lack of improvement.  The optician did her test and simply said her eyes were under pressure and that they were referring her to the Eye Pavilion, who then acted very quickly in sending her to Neuro, who told us (pre-scan) they though it was BICH.  

Unfortunately it wasn't, but I know the symptoms are very similar to a BT, and the fact the optician was on the ball, saved her sight, and probably saved her life.  She saw a surgeon that afternoon who said she could have gone blind or dropped down dead in the street at any time.  Two days later, she had surgery and while her life hasn't been easy over the last few years, she is still here and still functioning.

BICH is a serious illness and for some reason, more common in women?  Fluid retention issues?  So, I'm sorry your BICH is back, and hope it doesn't hang around for too long.  Please take it easy so you can get back to normal (what??!) soon.

Hope you're not feeling too 'dizzy'.

Lots of love, Ann x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thank you very much once again for all the lovely replies.

Ann, you're so right. After seeing the doctor every day for a week with the symptoms she sent me to an emergency clinic of some sort. It was there that they mentioned this condition, but, because the symptoms are so similar to a tumour I was referred for an emergency brain scan.

I think the biggest problem (cause) is my weight. I am really obese and know I need to do something about it, but, since dad died last year I have piled on the weight. Must get my thinking head on and get something done.

Helen, I just love your idea of getting alcohol on prescription. Perhaps we should start a campaign???? And where better than on the Mac site which is well known for campaigning. I'm sure we'd find a LOT of support.

Love to everyone, Christine xx