Strange day!

4 minute read time.

What a day I had at the hospital today. Firstly, I should have been seen last October which was a year since I had been seen last. This appt was cancelled until 26 January this year. I phoned and asked to be fitted in as it would be15 months since I had been seen and was told by the surgeon's secretary that the management had ordered that no-one be fitted in. Then the appt was cancelled again, this time till 9th February. I had misplaced my appt card so phoned on Tuesday to enquire about the time for the appt and was told that I had been put back again till 11th (today). Would have been nice to be told. When I arrived at the clinic I was redirected to another Outpatients waiting room. This had been changed without notice too. The receptionist there didn't have me on her computer.

When I was called in by the nurse she said, "Do you have a wee problem with your breast?" I looked at her questioningly. I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2003 and was there for a check-up. When I explained this she said, "Oh, you're at the general surgery clinic"?????????

I entered the examination room where the consultant was sitting at his desk talking into his dictaphone. I was directed behind a curtain to undress and lie on the bed. After a while the consultant called out to me, "Are you alright Christine?" "Yes, I'm fine thanks" I replied. Then he asked me how long it was since diagnosis etc. Now, all this conversation was taking place while he was sat at his desk and I was lying on a bed behind a curtain. Eventually he came over and did a perfunctory examination of my breasts and told me that he would order a mammogram which was to be my last and next year after my check-up I was to be discharged. All good and well. I then told him I had been having pain in one of my ovaries and he said my GP had to refer me to they gynaecology dept, but he would check my Ca125 level and do a full blood count. When I left to have the blood test done I told the nurse I have bi-lateral lymphoedema (in both arms). She looked shocked and went to fetch the sister.

Now, having lymphoedema I cannot have injections, blood pressure tests or bloods taken from my arms. I was told at the clinic I would have to have it taken from my foot or leg in future. I explained this to the sister who had a face like thunder. Her reply was, "Well I'm not taking blood from your foot, I wouldn't even do it for a junkie". What that had to do with the price of fish, I'll never know. I stood my ground and said, "Well, I'm not willing to take the risk of you piercing my arm", so it became a bit of a stalemate. Eventually she left saying she was going to speak to the doctor. She returned with the form for the blood test and practically threw it at me and said, "Just go back to your lymphoedema clinic and ask them how you have to blood taken". I was really stunned by all this. I felt as if I had done something wrong. Lucky I stood my ground, but I know a lot of people would be intimidated by this attitude and given in. I think it is shocking that they were unprepared to take blood from any other area than the arm. It's a hospital for goodness sake!

I went to reception to make my appointment for 12 months time and noticed that the name on my blood forms was someone else's. I pointed this out to the receptionist who was quite shocked and she left to see the doctor with it. Then cheery chops reappeared with my form and asked in an annoyed tone, did I used to be known by a different name (I re-married 14 months ago). I replied yes, but it was someone else's name on the form. She replied, yes I know and left.

The other thing I found strange was that the doctor asked me if I was contacted by the breast screening programme. I replied, No and he went on to say, "You will be, they are given to women over 50". I am only 45, but didn't bother pointing this out.

I have to say all of this put a dampener on what should have been a good day as I am still cancer free. Aw well, we can't have it all I guess.

Sorry for such a long post, there was actually more, so I had to condense it.

Best wishes to everyone for a good weekend.

Christine xx

Anonymous
  • sounds like the nhs at its worst, good job you have a good GP

and don't take any nonsense no doubt they were having an off day or so you hope you could complain via PALS as it was bad re appoints and on the day.

good that all is still well

john

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Christine

How awful that you had such a shambolic appointment, the journey through cancer is a stressful enough one without such unneccesary incompetences adding to it!! When Mum had shabby treatment I sincerely hoped that it was not the norm, but have unfortunately since read enough on here to know that she was not in the minority.

I sincerely hope that you get reassurance that doc was working from the correct notes, and will keep my fingers crossed that scan does not show anything to be concerned about, keep up the good fight, with love Sharonxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thanks again everyone. I have decided that I am going to find out how to make a complaint.

I find it unbelievable that they refused to take a blood test because they weren't allowed to take it from my arm. So, I have just to carry on not knowing if there is a problem which may show up on a blood test. Something seriously wrong there.

I also think it would help others who may not be as outspoken as I am. I know a lot of people, family included, who would be too timid to say no and let them take the blood from their arm regardless of the possible harm it could cause.

Ridiculous you have to take this action though. It does seem more and more that people are experiencing these ineptitudes in the NHS,

Christine xx