Strange day!

4 minute read time.

What a day I had at the hospital today. Firstly, I should have been seen last October which was a year since I had been seen last. This appt was cancelled until 26 January this year. I phoned and asked to be fitted in as it would be15 months since I had been seen and was told by the surgeon's secretary that the management had ordered that no-one be fitted in. Then the appt was cancelled again, this time till 9th February. I had misplaced my appt card so phoned on Tuesday to enquire about the time for the appt and was told that I had been put back again till 11th (today). Would have been nice to be told. When I arrived at the clinic I was redirected to another Outpatients waiting room. This had been changed without notice too. The receptionist there didn't have me on her computer.

When I was called in by the nurse she said, "Do you have a wee problem with your breast?" I looked at her questioningly. I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2003 and was there for a check-up. When I explained this she said, "Oh, you're at the general surgery clinic"?????????

I entered the examination room where the consultant was sitting at his desk talking into his dictaphone. I was directed behind a curtain to undress and lie on the bed. After a while the consultant called out to me, "Are you alright Christine?" "Yes, I'm fine thanks" I replied. Then he asked me how long it was since diagnosis etc. Now, all this conversation was taking place while he was sat at his desk and I was lying on a bed behind a curtain. Eventually he came over and did a perfunctory examination of my breasts and told me that he would order a mammogram which was to be my last and next year after my check-up I was to be discharged. All good and well. I then told him I had been having pain in one of my ovaries and he said my GP had to refer me to they gynaecology dept, but he would check my Ca125 level and do a full blood count. When I left to have the blood test done I told the nurse I have bi-lateral lymphoedema (in both arms). She looked shocked and went to fetch the sister.

Now, having lymphoedema I cannot have injections, blood pressure tests or bloods taken from my arms. I was told at the clinic I would have to have it taken from my foot or leg in future. I explained this to the sister who had a face like thunder. Her reply was, "Well I'm not taking blood from your foot, I wouldn't even do it for a junkie". What that had to do with the price of fish, I'll never know. I stood my ground and said, "Well, I'm not willing to take the risk of you piercing my arm", so it became a bit of a stalemate. Eventually she left saying she was going to speak to the doctor. She returned with the form for the blood test and practically threw it at me and said, "Just go back to your lymphoedema clinic and ask them how you have to blood taken". I was really stunned by all this. I felt as if I had done something wrong. Lucky I stood my ground, but I know a lot of people would be intimidated by this attitude and given in. I think it is shocking that they were unprepared to take blood from any other area than the arm. It's a hospital for goodness sake!

I went to reception to make my appointment for 12 months time and noticed that the name on my blood forms was someone else's. I pointed this out to the receptionist who was quite shocked and she left to see the doctor with it. Then cheery chops reappeared with my form and asked in an annoyed tone, did I used to be known by a different name (I re-married 14 months ago). I replied yes, but it was someone else's name on the form. She replied, yes I know and left.

The other thing I found strange was that the doctor asked me if I was contacted by the breast screening programme. I replied, No and he went on to say, "You will be, they are given to women over 50". I am only 45, but didn't bother pointing this out.

I have to say all of this put a dampener on what should have been a good day as I am still cancer free. Aw well, we can't have it all I guess.

Sorry for such a long post, there was actually more, so I had to condense it.

Best wishes to everyone for a good weekend.

Christine xx

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

I can only agree with what everyone else has said here - "rubbish" - what a way to treat someone! You should receive a copy of the letter the Consultant sends to your G.P. Christine. I always do, and often receive my copy anything up to 3 weeks before my G.P. receives his copy! It's a good job you did have the "nerve" to stand up to those people Christine as it is totally unacceptable for them to be like that with you - RUDE is what I'd call it (at best - and  incompetent too!)

Take care, love, Rose x x x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I never thought of that Rose. It's not something I have been aware of, but will certainly ask my GP to give me a copy.

I will continue to stand up to these people. Too many mistakes made and it's time these people were made to account for their actions. I cannot believe they haven't come across anyone who can't have blood taken from their arm before. What happens to people who don't have arms for example.

Just another example of the ineptitude within the NHS.

Love, Christine xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Dear Christine, what a shambles!  It seems we are treated like unwanted specimens sometimes.  How rude to have a conversation with you behind a curtain - especially in your vulnerable state of undress.  I too have lymphodaema - in my left arm and, yes, it does feel like I am a nuiscance sometimes because I cannot have anything done to left arm.  Clearly, the NHS are not very good at aftercare - I guess that's in our hands to, don't be fobbed off, good you stood  your ground and I hope they know your medical records enough to give the proper follow up checks.  The NHS needs to start treating people more like people than stats.  How monstrous.  Anyway, keep well Christine and good luck for your future.  Ann x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Wow - what a shocking service you have received.  I think reading your between the lines of your blog, he did have the incorrect notes and thats why he sent your round to get you kit off while he read your notes, obviously he didnt want to look incompetent telling you he had the wrong notes !!!!!  Thats why the nurse was probably angry too as she knew the wrong notes where there and just had to go on your say so, or perhaps the miserable cow's wrong time of the month.  I would certainly push for you ovaries to be looked at and hope all goes well. You keep standing up for yourself girl !!!! go you xxx

I will admit i have had great care in my hospital, the knows consultant knows me so well, as do the nurses.

Good luck   dawn xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thanks Ann and Dawn.

Luckily my GP is very good and is sending me for an ultrasound of my ovaries.

Another strange thing I found was that it was the surgeon who operated on me that I saw yesterday and I have seen him loads of times. Not that I think he should remember every patient, of course.

But, the more I think about it, it doesn't add up does it? First, no record of my appt on the computer (and no letter telling me of appt). Then the nurse doesn't realise I am there for a follow-up appt. Doctor is asking me all sorts of questions when he should have had it all in front of him. Seeing the notes with oophrectomy written on them. Wrong name on labels. Nurse asking me if I used to be known be a previous name. All a bit suspect. I will discuss it with my GP and see what she has to say. Thankfully, I don't have any concerns regarding the breasts so, that's one positive, but who knows what would have happened if I did!

Thanks again everyone.

Christine xx