My Dad

1 minute read time.

Gosh, don't know where to start.  I've been using this site for a while now.  Have beaten breast cancer (I hope). Now my dad, who has always been a healthy, non meat eater, non-smoker, occasional drinker has been diagnosed with secondary liver cancer.  I have spoken to my GP today who tells me that that dad's CT scan has confirmed what they have been worried about (primary bowel?). She doesn't want to say until dad has spoken with the consultant on Monday..

Dad doesn't know any of this.  I am devastated as the GP is talking about palliative treatment and Macmillan care etc before we have even discussed any possible treatment.

My dad is very poorly.  He is sleeping most of the day and hardly eating or drinking at all, but I am looking for some positive comments.  He is generally a very fit 68 year old and the doctor at the hospital told him she recognises that he has been very fit so I am hoping this will stand him in good stead.

I am just very concerned that he is almost bed-ridden these days.  Is there any hope for him? I know that liver problems causes sleepiness, but am scared to ask questions in case I am told the worst, I think I need some hope to cling to.

I have been reading some encouraging information on the macmillan cancer site and hope that the docs will offer some sort of treatment.  I will keep you posted, but hope in the meantime I will receive some encouragment.

Thanks for reading this.  Best wishes to you all, Christine xx

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Zoe, thanks for your reply.  Dad is managing to drink, although sometimes I have to encourage him.  His appetite has gone completely but he does try his best.  He is taking ensure drinks.  We have managed to take him out a lot lately which really perks him up.

It's hard to tell if he knows what is going on as he seems a bit confused at times.  Like you say, maybe once he has seen the consultant he will get back his fighting spirit.

I hope Joe is doing well at the moment.

I will let you know how things go.

Best wishes, Christine xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Court, thanks so much for your comments.  

I'm so glad your mum is responding well to chemo, hopefully that will be an option for dad and he does well too.

I love this site for the wonderful support people give.

I hope things continue to go well for your mum.  Please keep in touch and let me know.

Best wishes, Christine xx

• Hi Christine

I hope all goes well tomorrow.

Love

Sue xxxxxxxxxxxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Christine

Seems so unfair doesnt it. Good Luck for tomorrow

Maggs x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Just thought I would update on dad's hospital appointment today.  It has been confirmed that there is a growth on his large bowel.  They are to do  a colonoscopy next week and then have him back to discuss treatment options.  The cancer has spread to his liver and they mentioned something showing up on the lungs also, but they are unsure what they are.

This was pretty much what we expected, but poor dad is still in shock, but he says at least now he has something to focus on, gettting treatment etc.

I think, as we all know, the waiting and imagination can be the worst, at least when you get a definite diagnosis you can get on with fighting it.

He has also seen the dietician today who says she will write to the GP and suggest she prescribes dad an appetite stimulant to try getting him eating again and built up as the weight he has lost is terrible.

Thank you all once again for your support.  I will keep you updated as things go on.

Love, Christine xx