Fear

1 minute read time.

Just took hubby to the station for his early train into work.  He looked awful and the lingering smell of last night's dinner in the kitchen made him feel very nauseous.  It is now day 6 of the first round of chemo.  Tomorrow he has to go to the hospital to have the chemo bag changed for another week and then he will have two weeks off.

As I watched him walk towards the platform, I could have wept.  He walks slowly and with effort, but he is determined to not let the side effects get the better of him - this is another side of the chemo I had not expected.  I knew from my experiences with my mother that there was likely to be nausea, loss of hair and lack of energy, but when I look at this strong man being held in the fist of the cancer and treatment, I am crying.

I am so so distressed I can hardly see my computer screen through the tears and I just want to make it all go away and I know I cannot.

Today feels like a bad day, but I know I must get it together before too much longer, as my strength is becoming his rock and his support and I cannot let him down.

thank you Macmillan for giving me this page to just let it out and I am sure I will be fine soon.

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

ohh i am having a day like yours to :( my boyfriend is struggling from his latest operation.. and he's really sick from it, i hate knowing there is nothing i can do to instantly make him better! its a horrible feeling.. take care of yourself.. i just ate two chocolates and am in bed early for the night!

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Diamondsgirl I know exactly where you are coming from.  Just been down to Mumsy's and my precious brother was up making breakfast dressed in shorts and a rugby shirt.  I could have cried on the spot when I saw how thin his very long legs have become and only stayed long enough to feed the dog and then Rocky and me walked back to mine with me crying all the way.  (The dog is now living with me as Gordy has a thing about bugs and stuff since starting chemo).

Gordy's appetite is still very good and we hope it continues.  He hasn't had any nausea as yet but we expect it to happen.

I know what you mean when you look at a strong man in the grip of cancer and treatment.  It's heart breaking but I hope you feel better soon.

Much love,

Chrissie xxxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember
    Dear Diamondsgirl, I really hope that to tomorrow is a better day for you. My fiancé has been battling with cancer for over a year and I totally identify with the emotions you are going through. He is a very strong big guy and to see the effects of the disease and chemo on him breaks my heart into pieces. He calls me his rock as well and we have to be strong and battle on. Take some time for yourself as well when you can and try your best to relax although I know this is very hard. Sending you strength and courage. Jen x
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

hello diamondsgirl

i understand how you feel seeing the affects of the disease and chemo and how heartbreaking it all is and my heart goes out to you  i am facing this with my husband who has been very depressed because his body wont allow him to do the things he wants to do he has lung cancer and is having chemo

i hope you find the strength and courage to cope , there will be bad days when it doesnt seem possible , but try to think the next day will be better

sending you much love and hugs irene xxxxxxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hello Diamondsgirl. I am so sorry that your hubby is having to go through all this and you are having to watch him, no doubt feeling helpless that you can't do anything more. I just wanted to say that as a cancer patient ( albeit three years down the line and clear so far ) I really think that our carers go through so much more on the emotional side of the trauma. My hubby was marvellous to me and looked after me with so much love and care, but he suffered terribly when I was in extreme pain from the RT to my mouth and there was nothing he could do to ease it for me ......... other than to fetch the morphine bottle from the cabinet for me ! The main thing is that he was there for me and that made all the difference in the world - he also saw me struggling and painfully thin - it broke his heart, but with time I am recovering and so is he. I know it's hard for you to stay strong but it will get better ........ take strength from the Mac family and your friends. Wishing you both all the best, sweetheart.

Love, Joycee xx