Bertie Bassetts Journey through AML

1 minute read time.
We were on a much needed holiday when we got our first clue that all was not well. Bert had had Bronchitis all through our holiday and against his better judgement he went to see the Dr the day we were due to fly home. The Dr in Turkey was amazing done loads of tests and told us after only 45 mins we were told that his white cell count was really low at 1.2 and that we were to see a Dr on our arrival home. He was admitted on the 15th of September and we were given the diagnosis on the 18th the day after his 56th birthday. His count dropped rapidly to 0.1 in a couple of days but then stopped at that. The Dr had told us that his chemo would start the following week. However she changed her mind, and sent him home after 2 weeks of antibiotics, antifungals and antivirals, which was just as well as I developed Laryngitis and a chest infection. I was amazed that he never got any infection. We went to the out patient clinic 2 weeks later and were told he was stable to come back in 2 weeks. on our return we were told he had to be admitted on Mon 2nd Nov despite the fact that his blood was still stable and he was to be starten on Chemo on Tue 3rd. The 1st lot of chemo mad him look dreadful I was not expecting that. However, he did look a little better the next day although he was very breathless and had tracking up his arm where the chemo had been put in. But all of that turned out to be ok. Here we are on day 4 gutted to find out that his brothers are not match for Bone Marrow, that left him feeling very upset and down in the dumps. So we will see what tomorrow brings Goodnight
Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Day 3 of Bert's Chemo and already he has an infection, I went to visit tonight and found him attached to IV antibiotics with a temp of 39.9  and his BP through the roof he looks awful and feels as bad as he looks. And to finish the day off  I came home to find my future daughter-in law has just had a miscarriage. She had an eptopic pregnancy in September when Bert was diagnosed , and now another miscarriage, I suppose the only good thing is she now knows she can get pregnant as she thought  she could not after they removed her fallopian tube.    But going back to Bert they don't know for sure if it is an infection or a reaction to the chemo but it is the same chemo they used last month. I don't understand  how it can make you temp and BP shoot up. Hopefully he will feel a bit brighter in the morning as its going to be a long day for him.

Hope everyone has a Very Merry Christmas

Lots of Love

Teri

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Day 5  and Bert still has an infection he also has phlebitis in his hand and his arm. The D'rs think that he is having a reaction to one of his Chemotherapies. he done well to keep himself awake yesterday when the family were all there but as soon as they left he fell asleep for 3 hours. He is now on 2 lots of IV antibiotics again  and we still have 3 more days of chemo to go. Then the wait begins for his neutrophils and platelets to drop hopefully ther will be no more infections but I wont hold my breath.

Teri

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Teri, well the last 2 days have not been plain sailing for you and Bert have they? I hope to hear tomorrow that Bert has had a better day and that the phlebitis has settled, and any other infection is close to being snuffed out  - at least he has the antibitotics prescribed and probably well into his blood stream by now. All fingers and toes crossed ....... Does he have a peripheral line in situ?

Christmas here was different and at times emotional but the day went well. I must say I feel rather 'flat' now, I wonder if now that the promise to ensure the party went ahead has been honoured, I have time to reflect on the last 3 weeks .... I certainly feel exhausted.

Anyway, I really hope t hat a good night's sleep will help Bert, and you and my thoughts also with your daughter-in-law.

Sleep tight, with love Debbiexxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thanks Debbie you are right he did have a better day today. Antibiotics are working their magic yet again. another two and a Half days of chemo to go and then the wait begins.lThey are using a venflon and keep moving it to a different site. I am not sure that this will work whe he has to have his blood products as you know they can take several hours. They took the PICC out because he got infected but he also got an infection with the venflon after only 2 days. I am glad your day went well  John will be smiling down on all of you. You will be exhausted as the last few weeks will be catching up on you now that you have time to relax and reflect. but reading all that you have written about John he would not want you to be sad he would rather see you enjoy yourself. Bert asked me tonight what would happen to him if he did not go into remission and I could not tell him they have told me that it will be palliative care if that happens, but I can't tell him that he would withdraw into himself and not speak or fight or do anything he would give up.I think though he may have an idea as he was quite tearful tonight and I have not seen him like that since he was home. They are stopping his IV antibiotics tomorrow so finger crossed that all stays well he has another rash but his platelets are ok at the moment. Thanks for your thought on my daughter in law (Tabitha) she is down as well

Keep well lots of love Teri xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Teri, Good to hear Bert had a better day,  sleep always helps, and perhaps he is also a little tearful today because he is still a litle tired and it is a very emotive time of the year, on top of everything else.  Please remember that a scientist cannot finalise results untl the experiment is 100% complete. I hope you can both try and think positively for now, we are all rooting for you! Maintenance care is not all bad either as an option ...... but not one to dwell on now, and remember it is unlikely to be the only option.

Fingers crossed the infections stays away when he antibiotics finish,  I forgot the line was out and you are right that is a bummer with so much stuff being administered IV.  Different hospitals have differing policies on the delivery of blood products,  platelets can be delivered in 15 minutes and blood in 1 hour in some hospitals but not so easy as you say via a peripheral vein. Might they fit another line?

I know John is at rest and I know he was ready to go, for himself, I also know he was worried about those he was leaving, especially his 'girls' and my parents. I shall do my best to ensure they are all OK - but it is tough right now.

Anyway, I am so pleased Bert had a better day today, it must make leaving him to come home a little easier. I hope Tabitha continues to do OK,  poor lass, she has been through the mill as well, but you have  made a positive observation and I hope in time she will see it as such.

Well, Teri, I must away, look forward to hearing from you soon!

With love, Debbiexx

PS I sent you an email forwarding a news letter, it is worth reading ......