Bertie Bassetts Journey through AML

1 minute read time.
We were on a much needed holiday when we got our first clue that all was not well. Bert had had Bronchitis all through our holiday and against his better judgement he went to see the Dr the day we were due to fly home. The Dr in Turkey was amazing done loads of tests and told us after only 45 mins we were told that his white cell count was really low at 1.2 and that we were to see a Dr on our arrival home. He was admitted on the 15th of September and we were given the diagnosis on the 18th the day after his 56th birthday. His count dropped rapidly to 0.1 in a couple of days but then stopped at that. The Dr had told us that his chemo would start the following week. However she changed her mind, and sent him home after 2 weeks of antibiotics, antifungals and antivirals, which was just as well as I developed Laryngitis and a chest infection. I was amazed that he never got any infection. We went to the out patient clinic 2 weeks later and were told he was stable to come back in 2 weeks. on our return we were told he had to be admitted on Mon 2nd Nov despite the fact that his blood was still stable and he was to be starten on Chemo on Tue 3rd. The 1st lot of chemo mad him look dreadful I was not expecting that. However, he did look a little better the next day although he was very breathless and had tracking up his arm where the chemo had been put in. But all of that turned out to be ok. Here we are on day 4 gutted to find out that his brothers are not match for Bone Marrow, that left him feeling very upset and down in the dumps. So we will see what tomorrow brings Goodnight
Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hiya All,

Just being a bit nosey, but what was in the newsletter Debbie, was it any help for my mum?

Hello to you Teri too. As you know my mum has the same condition as Bert, and she will be on her second lot of chemo in the New Year. It's a lower dosage than the first lot and I also worry about her getting infections.

When she got Pneumonia last time, it was an awful thing for her to go through, and thank god, she can't remember it all.

I just pray that all goes well for her and Bert, it's a terrible ordeal isn't it?

I don't know what will happen if this second lot doesn;t work either, but all I know is a few weeks ago, the docs weren't up for giving any chemo at all to mum , but now they have changed their minds.

Lets hope they both go into remission and live many more years.

xxxxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Bert had a better day today than the last few days.his venflon had to be moved yet again as his other  hand is now all swollen too. He has a rash all over but other than tiredness he is looking much better.anothef few dses of chemo and that will be this cycle over I never thought we would reach this stage. But hopefully things ar looking up and no more infections for a while

Teri

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Teri, Delighted to read Bert had a better day yesterday, great stuff. I hope they will be able to resite his venflon OK,  some can find veins where seemingly none exist!. You will have to tell Bert to keep the limb with the venflon as still and as dry as possible ... there is a market out there for ambidextrous folk and this is good practice :-) I so hope all the crappy stuff has happened this year and that 2009 holds a better hand of cards for you all. It is really hard to keep smiling through all this,  it sounds to me as though Bert needs to see you smiling. You can rant and rave here,  anytime and keep the smiles for Bert.

Take care Teri, with love Debbiexx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I've been a bit busy the last few days but time to catch up now! i expect your christmas day was much the same as mine, in hospital visiting our hubbies, glad bert is feeling a bit better today, do you think they will attempt to put another hickmann line in bert at some point? as venflons do a job but do not last very long, as poor bert is finding, they tissue so easily hence the swelling!

My hubby had a rash during his chemo and they thought it was probably due to the cytarabine and prescribed him anti-histamine tablets which worked, he looked as though he had chicken pox on one of the cycles!

Well Teri nearly cycle no.2 over with, half way there now, hopefully bert will soon start to feel better, then wait for the bloods to come up and home for a while to be pampered, and go back to living in tropical heat!! he might not feel the cold as much next time

I wish you both and family a very happy new year, will you be spending it visiting Bert in hospital?

keep us posted lol fudgecake x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi it appears that Bert is in remission, I still can't quite believe it. although there are some more results to come they say everything is looking good. Bert is feeling much better that he has been, last dose of Chemo tomorrow morning so fingers crossed no more infection. It  is getting to the stage where it terrifies me when they stop the IV antibiotics.

For some reason he was a bit down tonight I thought he would have been delighted with the news well he is but I'm not sure if he believes it and as he says we still have a long way to go. but thinking positive he is getting better.

Love Teri