Bertie Bassetts Journey through AML

1 minute read time.
We were on a much needed holiday when we got our first clue that all was not well. Bert had had Bronchitis all through our holiday and against his better judgement he went to see the Dr the day we were due to fly home. The Dr in Turkey was amazing done loads of tests and told us after only 45 mins we were told that his white cell count was really low at 1.2 and that we were to see a Dr on our arrival home. He was admitted on the 15th of September and we were given the diagnosis on the 18th the day after his 56th birthday. His count dropped rapidly to 0.1 in a couple of days but then stopped at that. The Dr had told us that his chemo would start the following week. However she changed her mind, and sent him home after 2 weeks of antibiotics, antifungals and antivirals, which was just as well as I developed Laryngitis and a chest infection. I was amazed that he never got any infection. We went to the out patient clinic 2 weeks later and were told he was stable to come back in 2 weeks. on our return we were told he had to be admitted on Mon 2nd Nov despite the fact that his blood was still stable and he was to be starten on Chemo on Tue 3rd. The 1st lot of chemo mad him look dreadful I was not expecting that. However, he did look a little better the next day although he was very breathless and had tracking up his arm where the chemo had been put in. But all of that turned out to be ok. Here we are on day 4 gutted to find out that his brothers are not match for Bone Marrow, that left him feeling very upset and down in the dumps. So we will see what tomorrow brings Goodnight
Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Teri, thinking of you both today, hoping that all goes well with the admission and BM aspiration ..... keep us posted

Debbiexx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thanks Debbie BM aspiration was not as bad as he thought it would be but its looks as though early signs are ok but not as good as they could have been. He has had his first 2 lots of chemo and is feeling a bit woozy and anxious but I am sure he will settle. He felt that 10 days out was too much and says he feels a lot safer in the hospital. I was worried that I would have trouble getting him back in but he was fine I think the fact that he was not feeling good anyway had a lot to do with that. Still no sign of a bone marrow donor though Anyway I will keep you posted

Love Teri

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hiya, new donors (worldwide) are added on a regular basis to the database, so hope is very much alive, and they will keep looking. As before chemo is always an option whilst they continue to look.  We waited ages (after the first match turned out to be my brother himself!) and then 3 were found in quick succession, there was even one lined jup after the relapse if required. Please to hear BM went OK nd I so hope results are encouraging, and anyway, next round of chemo has kicked off so that is goodness. Hope Bert is feeling OK today, and yes I guess 10 days at home can seem alot when all he has known recently is the hospital and he did not feel too good for the last few days. You can relax now the 'cooler' home, wear a few more clothes and catch up on sleep, safe in tne knowledge that Bert is receiving good care and his treatment.

I so hope you manage to enjoy Chrsitmas a little, try making Bert  some ice cubes made out of favourite tipple, usually goes down well!! Will the family be with you?

All he very best to you both, take care, love Debbiexx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Teri i am glad the BM aspiration went ok and bert did not find it too painful, they are a funny breed men aren't they? firstly you had a job keeping him in hospital, now he couldn't wait to get back in! better that way though, like i said before they become hospitalised and look on it as somewhere safe and secure.

Glad the next round of chemo has started sounds like you will be spending your christmas day the same place as me in hospital visiting! which does not bother me, or you i expect ,we can have christmas later can't we?

You might find that you will sleep better now berts back in as you don't have to worry ass much or give him meds and keep checking his temp.

Hope rest of chemo goes ok, how many days is this course 7? and bert does not feel nauseous, so he can enjoy as much as you can a hospital christmas dinner, nothing like home cooked! and have a nice christmas day together

lol fudgecake x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Debbie & Fudgecake Chemo went fine but he feels a bit nauseous this time, it is an 8 day cycle. I think he was thinking the Consultant would send him back home as I had a little bit of a disagreement with him before he left.  He (the consultant)wanted him to wait until after the New Year before going back I but I wanted to stick to the plan we had originally even if it meant him being in for Christmas it  took me weeks to convince him that he is better getting his treatment  as planned and then they want t change it all as  soon as his own  Consultant is out of the countryand I am glad I stuck to my guns as Bert was not really too well when he was home anyway,  . But needless to say  the Consultant was not happy but did agree to stick to the plan. We are hoping he will not be sick on Christmas day and if he is hopefully it will not be when the family are there as that would really embarrass him

Debbie you were right about me being able to get my clothes back on and the heating turned down and the fan in the bedroom on. Him being cold is no good to me when I am having hot flushes. And I will get a decent sleep tonight I had cramp in my feet all night last night so tonight i have taken a sleeping pill and will soon drop off. Will catch up with you both later

Lots of Love Teri