Bertie Bassetts Journey through AML

1 minute read time.
We were on a much needed holiday when we got our first clue that all was not well. Bert had had Bronchitis all through our holiday and against his better judgement he went to see the Dr the day we were due to fly home. The Dr in Turkey was amazing done loads of tests and told us after only 45 mins we were told that his white cell count was really low at 1.2 and that we were to see a Dr on our arrival home. He was admitted on the 15th of September and we were given the diagnosis on the 18th the day after his 56th birthday. His count dropped rapidly to 0.1 in a couple of days but then stopped at that. The Dr had told us that his chemo would start the following week. However she changed her mind, and sent him home after 2 weeks of antibiotics, antifungals and antivirals, which was just as well as I developed Laryngitis and a chest infection. I was amazed that he never got any infection. We went to the out patient clinic 2 weeks later and were told he was stable to come back in 2 weeks. on our return we were told he had to be admitted on Mon 2nd Nov despite the fact that his blood was still stable and he was to be starten on Chemo on Tue 3rd. The 1st lot of chemo mad him look dreadful I was not expecting that. However, he did look a little better the next day although he was very breathless and had tracking up his arm where the chemo had been put in. But all of that turned out to be ok. Here we are on day 4 gutted to find out that his brothers are not match for Bone Marrow, that left him feeling very upset and down in the dumps. So we will see what tomorrow brings Goodnight
Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Debbie

Thanks for that I never thought about the confusion being caused by the infection now it all makes sense His 2nd iv antibiotic was stopped today and tonight he will get his final one of Meripenin then if his temp behaves he will get home for the weekend. and while I am looking forward to having him home it is a bit scary after the last time. He is really looking forward to coming home. They have not yet decided if he is fit enough fir his 2nd cycle of chemo next week but we will get there. Your posts along with Fudgecakes have kept me sane for the last few weeks so thanks to both of you I will keep you posted when he goes back in

Lots of love Teri

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Teri, Guess that is why this site can be so useful? Often those that are not so close to a situation see with a different pair of eyes, and even better if that person has been there, done it and got the T-shirt!. Next step is to hope temperature behaves, and it should do, the signs are all very positive - unless someother bug comes along and of course no reason to think it will. I hope you have been shopping and bought all Bert's favourite foods, or stuff that he really really fancies for the weekend. Have a really enjoyable one, an early Christmas present.

FIngers, toes and everything else crossed - love Debbiexxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Teri, thanks so much for the update! If Bert has low counts he may well feel cold and need heating on full blast etc. The saying about 'thin blood' is so true!! John started to wear a t-shirt 'vest', rugby shirt and a jumper and had a sleeveless 'gilet' (not sure of that is the right word for a 'blokes item of clothing!). He found layers good and he could peel them off easily if necessary, or indeed ad as required. I am not sure if Bert has lost his hair, but if so a hat will help keep him warm, loads of heat is lost through the head. My experience is that I would be more worried if he had a temperature .........  I hope you have had an enjoyable week at home, done loads of nothing,  and are all set for the next round, will it start on Monday, or later in the week? Have you managed to have some time off work?

Please keep us posted Teri!

Thinking of you - with love, Debbiexx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

We have had a tiring week i slept when he did but I had to go back to work today he has had layers of clothing  on but still feels cold and clammy he has lost his hair (well what little he had) but I can't get him to wear a hat indoors he said he feels ridiculous but we will keep working on that. (Perhaps its the fact that I am walking around half naked because of the heat in the house that is keeping him going) On Monday he has a bone marrow aspiration before they decide which treatment they will be using. He has the sniffles so I hope that does not hold things up for him, and as you say if his temp stays down so much the better

Lots of love Teri

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Teri, I am still smiling the thought of you swanning around at home very scantily clad! I trust that is not making Bert cold and clammy!!! He is supposed to be conserving his energies for the next round of treatment. Please remember to have some clothes near the front door, the neighbours might start talking :-)

I hope the sniffles have not manifested itno anything else, fingers and toes crossed for that AND that his temperature has remained within normal limits.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend, I have batling to try and get the decorations up, I promised the party would continue, I promised John and all at the church so must get cracking.

All the best to you both - please let me know how things are going.

Lots of love Debbiexx