Bertie Bassetts Journey through AML

1 minute read time.
We were on a much needed holiday when we got our first clue that all was not well. Bert had had Bronchitis all through our holiday and against his better judgement he went to see the Dr the day we were due to fly home. The Dr in Turkey was amazing done loads of tests and told us after only 45 mins we were told that his white cell count was really low at 1.2 and that we were to see a Dr on our arrival home. He was admitted on the 15th of September and we were given the diagnosis on the 18th the day after his 56th birthday. His count dropped rapidly to 0.1 in a couple of days but then stopped at that. The Dr had told us that his chemo would start the following week. However she changed her mind, and sent him home after 2 weeks of antibiotics, antifungals and antivirals, which was just as well as I developed Laryngitis and a chest infection. I was amazed that he never got any infection. We went to the out patient clinic 2 weeks later and were told he was stable to come back in 2 weeks. on our return we were told he had to be admitted on Mon 2nd Nov despite the fact that his blood was still stable and he was to be starten on Chemo on Tue 3rd. The 1st lot of chemo mad him look dreadful I was not expecting that. However, he did look a little better the next day although he was very breathless and had tracking up his arm where the chemo had been put in. But all of that turned out to be ok. Here we are on day 4 gutted to find out that his brothers are not match for Bone Marrow, that left him feeling very upset and down in the dumps. So we will see what tomorrow brings Goodnight
Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Bert has C Diff again and is very down, very weepy and just wants to come home. They have started him on antibiotics for the c diff so hopefully it will clear up much quicker this time.

Teri

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

C diff seems to have settled a littke but he has not eaten anything since Saturday  so the can't be much left. He hat his lunch and tea today and has started having pains again so we shall see what tonight brings. Other that that he was in quite good spirits

Love teri

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Couldn't get on the site last night Bert is feeling better re the C Diff but his mood has gone downhill again he doesn't say much when I visit. He is due for some blood tomorrow  as his Hb is low. WCC platelets and neutrophils are dropping steadily so I wound imagine he will be neutropenic by the weekend. Nothing much else to say

Love Teri

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

hi teri, i cant believe poor bert has got c diff again the poor thing he must be so down, lets hope things start looking up and this whole chemo episode will soon be over with. my dad is also very down and weepy, his neutraphils have been zero for over a week so his not happy and desperate to come home, luckily he hasnt had any infections so should be home soon, please keep us posted about bert.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Shelley

Thanks for your message, he is very down, but today I made him sit through 2 Lee Evans dvd's so he did feel a bit brighter when I left. Glad to here your dad has not had any infections long may it last has has he achieved remission yet? I think it all just gets too much for them and that along with the Chemo makes them weepy sometimes it takes longer for them to recover and as Bert says he is afraid of what the future holds for him I am sure you dad must have these thoughts also. It does not matter to them what we all thik and I try to keep positive for him but he just thinks he will relaseand have to start again. Bert's neutraphils are coming down slowly so it wont be long for him to become Neutropenic and that means the usual infection as far as he is concerned he never gets through without one.Love to your dad I hope he gets home soon

Love Teri