Bertie Bassetts Journey through AML

1 minute read time.
We were on a much needed holiday when we got our first clue that all was not well. Bert had had Bronchitis all through our holiday and against his better judgement he went to see the Dr the day we were due to fly home. The Dr in Turkey was amazing done loads of tests and told us after only 45 mins we were told that his white cell count was really low at 1.2 and that we were to see a Dr on our arrival home. He was admitted on the 15th of September and we were given the diagnosis on the 18th the day after his 56th birthday. His count dropped rapidly to 0.1 in a couple of days but then stopped at that. The Dr had told us that his chemo would start the following week. However she changed her mind, and sent him home after 2 weeks of antibiotics, antifungals and antivirals, which was just as well as I developed Laryngitis and a chest infection. I was amazed that he never got any infection. We went to the out patient clinic 2 weeks later and were told he was stable to come back in 2 weeks. on our return we were told he had to be admitted on Mon 2nd Nov despite the fact that his blood was still stable and he was to be starten on Chemo on Tue 3rd. The 1st lot of chemo mad him look dreadful I was not expecting that. However, he did look a little better the next day although he was very breathless and had tracking up his arm where the chemo had been put in. But all of that turned out to be ok. Here we are on day 4 gutted to find out that his brothers are not match for Bone Marrow, that left him feeling very upset and down in the dumps. So we will see what tomorrow brings Goodnight
Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Just wishing Bert well Teri and hope he doesn't get any infections.

xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

hi terri, hope bert is feeling better now and the c diff has settled, yes dad is in remission now his just finished his 3rd cycle/consolidation. his neutraphils stayed at zero for about a week this time but he is 0.6 today so has been home today but had to go back tonight he should be home for a week or so within the next few days and then back in for the last course and then has to take tablets for 18 months after that.keep us updated about bert it must be a worry for him about relapse but no oneknows what the future holds there are many people that never get it back but i guess its always in the back of their minds. x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thanks for your messages girls Bert is Neutropenic now so fingers crossed for no infections His C Diff seems to be under control with the antibiotics so that's something less for us to worry about. He has been very tired and slept all day today he has not done that for ages so I hope it's not a sign of thins to come

But on the positive side his mood has improved which is really good.

will keep you posted

Love Teri

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Oh that is better news Teri. I wouldn't worry about him sleeping all day though. My mum sleeps all night now she is at home which she didn't before the illness.

But when she was in hospital, she slept all day, and was awake at night.

Glad the C Diff is under control too.

Belinda xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Tonight Berts temp we up so it's back to iv antibiotics/fluids to get it under control. Other than that he seems fine had a little weepy moment but was ok when I left him. I have decided on an early night as I am not sleeping so well

Will keep updating

Love Teri