Bertie Bassetts Journey through AML

1 minute read time.
We were on a much needed holiday when we got our first clue that all was not well. Bert had had Bronchitis all through our holiday and against his better judgement he went to see the Dr the day we were due to fly home. The Dr in Turkey was amazing done loads of tests and told us after only 45 mins we were told that his white cell count was really low at 1.2 and that we were to see a Dr on our arrival home. He was admitted on the 15th of September and we were given the diagnosis on the 18th the day after his 56th birthday. His count dropped rapidly to 0.1 in a couple of days but then stopped at that. The Dr had told us that his chemo would start the following week. However she changed her mind, and sent him home after 2 weeks of antibiotics, antifungals and antivirals, which was just as well as I developed Laryngitis and a chest infection. I was amazed that he never got any infection. We went to the out patient clinic 2 weeks later and were told he was stable to come back in 2 weeks. on our return we were told he had to be admitted on Mon 2nd Nov despite the fact that his blood was still stable and he was to be starten on Chemo on Tue 3rd. The 1st lot of chemo mad him look dreadful I was not expecting that. However, he did look a little better the next day although he was very breathless and had tracking up his arm where the chemo had been put in. But all of that turned out to be ok. Here we are on day 4 gutted to find out that his brothers are not match for Bone Marrow, that left him feeling very upset and down in the dumps. So we will see what tomorrow brings Goodnight
Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Teri, well a mixed bag today, but I guess the main thing is that Bert is feeling better in himself, perhaps he was over tired. It has been a busy few days. Most hospitals have a threshold at which they will transfuse or administer blood products snd the level is usually slightly lower at the weekend when blood is more difficult to source. I am sure if Bert had required blood products today they would have somehow accessed his system! I hope tomorrow brings more positive progress and meanwhile I trust you will sleep tightly in a cooler house! With the temperatures as low as they are outside who knows you might be tempted to turn the heating up!

Hurray, my decorations are down, packed away and it was the first time in over 26 years my husband has been aorund to help!

Look forward to eharing from you tomorrow Teri, with love, Debbie xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Teri

Yes mum went into Christies yesterday about 1.30pm and they started chemo tonight about 5.30pm. I spoke to her on the phone in her room and she said she had a posh room with a bath etc. She said after that bag of chemo has finished then she has to have another one. Then there are two smaller ones which might be for tomorrow, but not sure yet.

She has to have 5 days of it.

The docs said she might be in for 3-4 weeks, she was naffed off when they told her this.

Good news is they said her bone marrow was showing less than 5% blasts and that she is in full remission.

Is the consolidation chemo stronger than the first lot? I don't really know to be honest.

I just know she is continuing where she left off on the AML 16 trial.

Hope Bert is good today. When do they say he can come home? Will it be about 3 weeks?

xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Folks Here we are on day 16 or is it 17 ? doesn't matter Bert was having 2 units of red cells today and so is looking a little less grey than he was yesterday. Thaey had trouble finding a vein and are still trying to get him another PICC line in but as there is only 1 nurse in Ayrshire & Arran who can put them in he has to wait his turn. He is also having some more platelets tonight so I am hoping that he will feel better tomorrow he is still very tired and the cold I had when he came home at New Year has decided its not a cold at all but a chest infection so I am feeling a bit out of sorts myself. but because I have had it for more than 3 days I was stillable to visit which was just as well as it is our 28th wedding anniversary.

anyway all this working and visiting is catching up with me and I a really tired tonight so its goodnight from  me

Terixx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Teri,

Many Congratulations to you both on your anniversary.

Love and Best Wishes .

Lynn  xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thanks Lynn

Bert was told today they cannot find a suitable Bone Marrow Donor for him and that they would give him a 5th cycle of chemo. They are still going to keep checking for a match and we still have time before he would be ready for it anyway, tonight he looks well after his blood and platelets last night long may that last. He is bored nut cannot concentrate long enough to read or paint ar anything much but rubbish on the telly. I am tired and almost fell asleep on him tonight. I can't seem to get enough sleep this week last week I couldn't sleep.

Goodnight I will be back soon

Love Teri