Bertie Bassetts Journey through AML

1 minute read time.
We were on a much needed holiday when we got our first clue that all was not well. Bert had had Bronchitis all through our holiday and against his better judgement he went to see the Dr the day we were due to fly home. The Dr in Turkey was amazing done loads of tests and told us after only 45 mins we were told that his white cell count was really low at 1.2 and that we were to see a Dr on our arrival home. He was admitted on the 15th of September and we were given the diagnosis on the 18th the day after his 56th birthday. His count dropped rapidly to 0.1 in a couple of days but then stopped at that. The Dr had told us that his chemo would start the following week. However she changed her mind, and sent him home after 2 weeks of antibiotics, antifungals and antivirals, which was just as well as I developed Laryngitis and a chest infection. I was amazed that he never got any infection. We went to the out patient clinic 2 weeks later and were told he was stable to come back in 2 weeks. on our return we were told he had to be admitted on Mon 2nd Nov despite the fact that his blood was still stable and he was to be starten on Chemo on Tue 3rd. The 1st lot of chemo mad him look dreadful I was not expecting that. However, he did look a little better the next day although he was very breathless and had tracking up his arm where the chemo had been put in. But all of that turned out to be ok. Here we are on day 4 gutted to find out that his brothers are not match for Bone Marrow, that left him feeling very upset and down in the dumps. So we will see what tomorrow brings Goodnight
Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Teri!! This is fantastic news, I am so pleased for you all, absolutely delighted. I know nothing would have said if the doctors were not all but sure. I bet Bert will feel great tomorrow, it has been a long wait for him and he now feels relieved and can relax and feel 'relaxed', if you know what I mean!

You can sleep real tight tonight Teri, I am sure you need every wink.

Big smiles! :-)

Love Debbie xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hiya All,

Hope your hubbie is doing ok Fudgecake. Also Teri, how is Bert today?

Might be that my mum is also in remission too as the blood results came up spot on yesterday. The doctor said he thinks mum could well be in remission. Anyway she has to go to Christies tomorrow, so will see what happens.

All I know is how well she is doing.

Happy New Year Everybody

xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Happy New Year to one and all, I have Bert lying in bed asleep beside me he is home for 2 days, hopefully there will be no infection and we can have a nice quiet day tomorrow he looks well and apart from being freezing he feels not too bad

Teri

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Now Bert is home for 2 days the house is like a sauna and he is freezing I'm suffocating I just burnt the dinner cos I am a useless cook he always done the cooking so I am not having a great day but not because he is ill. I suppose I 'd better make something easy like beans on toast I don't think even I could burn that.

He is going back to hospital tomorrow as he will most likely be neutopenic by then so   its a long slog from here on in

Teri

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Teri, hi! Guess you have started the New Year wearing not alot now you are back in the sauna?!  Anyway hope the beans on toast was good, although it is actually easy to burn toast .... ! You will have to invest on an easy cook book, Bert will not be allowed grapes I guess, so the book  can be in lieu of them. I do hope you enjoyed the time at home, I saw you had a quiet New Year, actually we did too. We went to my parents,  my brother's wife is still there and we played 'silly' games trying to exercise the mind. It was fun and the evening flew by.

I wish you both health, happiness and success in 2009 - and of course it goes without saying a good solid remission.

All the best for hospital admission tomorrow - thinking of you

Lot of love, Debbiexx