A New Year Still Wondering What Happened

• The Scan

FormerMember
    FormerMember

I can't help wondering whether, if I had not rescheduled a scan that was due to take place before Christmas, whether Flash would still be alive, whether I could have saved him.

I asked Mr Whizz Top Vet Surgeon when he phoned me yesterday if there was anything I could have done, over and above what I had already done, and he knew what that was, and he said: "Not really."    He just kept saying "It's a very sad…

• A Dignified Send-Off

FormerMember
    FormerMember

It seems that deciding what to do about an animal's funeral and final goodbye is even harder than the goodbye itself.

I'm sorry if this is upsetting but I can't bear to send his remains to the communal cremation and thence to a mass pet grave.  I just can't do it.  Cremation means nothing to me.  When it comes to death, I am an Earth person not a Fire person.  I have never been enamoured of ashes.  I know…

• Flash

FormerMember
    FormerMember

I have some very sad news to relate today and I can hardly believe it.  But my beautiful black and white Border collie dog, Flash, had to be put down due to huge growths on his prostate impinging on his bladder, and secondaries growths on his lungs making him quite unable to breathe. 

I woke up this morning to him vomiting and breathing noisily and shallowly. I thought he had some kind of stomach problem.  Around 12.00…

• The Widows' Club

FormerMember
    FormerMember

I went to a Bereavement Group meeting this evening, just to see what it was like.  I had gone to a workshop on bereavement before Christmas, and had been told about this group there, so I thought I'd give it a go.

We sat round on comfy chairs and cushions. I felt rather tense but didn't know why.  I thought I'd reserve judgement and listen to what people had to say.  One lady started off by introducing herself…

• It's Just Like a Divorce

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Yesterday I wrote to the probate manager, asking why I was made to apologise to someone who has taken some of my mother's most personal possessions away, when they had belonged to me to begin with.  II thought I was tackling the problem in bringing this up but he may just make things more awkward and drag the process out longer just because he can.  I realise that I have made myself more vulnerable now.  I might have…