Cambridge Boundary Run (2 of 10)

2 minute read time.

7th March – Cambridge Boundary Run

On Sunday I took part in the Cambridge Boundary run which also incorporated a half marathon. I have run a similar event at Thanet in September and it is always tough watching people celebrate ending their race when you are only at the half way stage.

The course was a planned route around the boundary of Cambridge, which starting at the very impressive David Lloyd centre made its way through a residential area until we reached a fairly hilly road which was surrounded by fields. From here we tackled our first cross country section, running through some woods and then around the perimeter of a field. Due to recent wet weather the woods and fields were quite muddy and I witnessed one runner fall as he turned a corner.

The second half of the race continued over a multi terrain, and we had to climb styles at miles 14, 17 and 18, a bridge (with steps) over a canal. Unfortunately I managed to roll my ankle on mile 22 as we ran next to the river. I was expecting the mud to be soft but for some reason it wasn’t so my ankle twisted, causing me to hop due to the flaring pain, This caused additional strain on my already tight hamstrings.

I must admit that I found the cross county running harder than the roads, and my trainers are still drying where they were completely covered in mud/water.

I also had great support during this race, and it was nice to see my friends and family cheering me on at mile 23ish and again at the finish. As always a big thank you to the organizers, marshalls at the rail and road crossing points and at the water stations. Also a big thank you to those that I ran with, talked to and helped me get through the tough miles at the end.

My times for the first half of the race was 52 minutes through 6 miles and 2 hours at half way. It was the initial 5 miles of the second half where a small group formed, which allowed us to talk about nothing in particular but the miles were steadily ticked off and I passed through 20 miles at just under 3 hours and finished in a personal best time of 4 hours and 7 minutes.

I am pleased that I my training plan is working as my times are getting quicker and my recovery is good. I have another marathon on the 21st March so will run between 20-30 miles between the two races.

Next stop Cotswold Marathon - Temple Guiting

Anonymous