Practical Help

Hi, my mum is going through radiotherapy treatment at the moment, and is feeling very poorly. My dad is her main carer, however he is awaiting a new hip and isn't mobile and also in a great deal of pain. I don't live close enough to help day-to-day, they are both struggling with practical things, is there any help they can get? X

• Hello SazzleCat,

I’m Steph and I work in the Community Team here at Macmillan. Thank you for getting in touch today and may I wish you another warm welcome to the Community. I hope you find the site a safe place of kindness and support. 

I am so sorry to hear about your mum's cancer and that she and dad are struggling at the moment. It sounds like your parents could benefit from some additional support. Please know that this group is for technical help with using the Online Community, but I'll do my best to point you in the right direction.

While at home in the community, the GP is the person who co-ordinates/organises care for patients.

If your parents have any increasing day to day needs the GP can assess and refer accordingly for additional help/support. They can assess and can set the ball in motion to have a referral made urgently to the local social services team for assistance such as carers, district nurses, meal preparations, physio review etc. This would involve a care needs assessment being carried out to arrange any help and support they may need at home.

if you'd like some more support from Macmillan, you can contact our Support Line teams. Sometimes it can help to talk things through with someone who’s there to listen. They’re available 7 days a week, 8am-8pm on freephone 0808 808 00 00email or live webchat.

In the meantime, I wondered if I could help you find the right support from the Community. We regularly see the benefit of members talking to others in similar circumstances, so I hope you can find some comfort on the site. Whenever you’re ready and if you feel comfortable doing so; I’d encourage you to join a group and start a discussion so that members can offer you support. 

If you’d like to talk to other people who are supporting a loved one, you can find our family and friends group here.  You can search for other groups relevant to you here and click ‘join this group’ in the banner or in group options.

Once you're a member of a group, you can click ‘+new’ to start a new discussion. There’s some help available here if you get stuck, or message us back and we’ll do our best to support you further.

Please do let us know if you have any questions, or need further help using the site. I hope the Community helps to show you that you are not alone and there is lots of support available for you. 

Kindest Regards,

Steph
    Online Community Officer