Negative biopsy

• 3 replies
  • 87 subscribers

Hi , how regular is it that a biopsy would be negative ? I have adenomyosis and thickened lining and ovarian cyst . I’m 52 I’ve no idea if I’m menopausal as I bled most days after the mirena coil was inserted approx 18 months ago . I’ve been offered a hysterectomy which I’ve decided to have . Just wondering if anyone else has had the same situation 

• Hi Takayasu

It is hard to say how often a biopsy would be negative. Some ladies come on here because they are worried about cancer and want to know about the testing but a lot come on to get support with treatment. So the forum might not be representative. If people use the forum and have a negative result then they tend to move on. It is the ladies who get the diagnosis and their families that are here most. 

Biopsy results can depend on lots of different things. With your adenomyosis, hyperplasia and ovarian cyst and given your age, then it does seem a good plan. Just to have the bleeding stopped will make it, I am sure, seem worthwhile. With any surgery, tissue that is taken away is routinely checked. 

My hysterectomy was done in April 2022. It was laparoscopic and I had little pain afterwards. I recovered well and spent only one night in hospital. Recovery for me was about taking time to rest and to avoid heavy lifting but I found I could do most things including going for daily walks. I could pop to the shops etc, just not do any heavy carrying.  

It may be worth giving the Support Line a call tomorrow and asking one of the nurses. They may have a better idea. 

I hope your surgery goes well.

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Thank you Jane for your reply . I’m three years post bowel cancer and think that maybe another reason why they suggest going ahead . Oh and another thing I stopped bleeding after taking provera havent bleed since April this year . I think I’ll go ahead with the operation , I don’t think they do hysterectomy’s if there isn’t any reason too

• I think you are right to go ahead. I know that there can be a link with bowel cancers as they asked me a lot about my Mum's bowel cancer when I had my diagnosis. They said it can put people at a higher risk. 

The surgery itself was straightforward. 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm