Atypical hyperplasia can’t be ruled out

• 1 reply
  • 85 subscribers

Hi

Following a hysteroscopy (3 May 2024) at the hospital under a spinal anaesthetic I had two polyps removed and biopsies done. One was okay but the other gives the pathologist and my gynaecologist cause for concern because they can’t rule out atypical hyperplasia. When I had the hysteroscopy the gynaecologist took the opportunity to insert a Merina coil. She said this would be the first corse of action if the biopsies revealed pre cancerous cells in my womb. The gynaecologist has said she wants to monitor the situation so I’ve to go back for another biopsy in November. I appreciate everyone’s experience is individual to them but I wondered if anyone else has had a similar experience. Also, since the Merina coil I’ve been bleeding almost every day since and feeling nauseous.

Thank you for taking the time to read my message.

SJ

• Hello SJ1

Welcome to the Womb forum.

I am sorry to hear of your experiences over the last month. It must be worrying when they can not yet rule out atypical hyperplasia. I can understand your concerns but it does seem like they are erring on the side of caution, in fitting the coil and also in calling you back for another biopsy in November. I would imagine that would be to look out for any changes. 

I am sorry to hear that you have been bleeding most days since you have had the coil fitted. I wonder if that is something that will improve once your body adjusts to the hormonal changes. Did they give you any paperwork when they fitted it with things to look out for? I would suggest the best thing would be to contact your GP - maybe via online consultation in the first instance- an explain the bleeding and nausea. it may be they can reassure you that it is to be expected and will improve but if they are concerned they can get you in and checked. 

I will pop a couple of links that may help.

Side effects and risks of an IUS (intrauterine system) or hormonal coil - NHS (www.nhs.uk)

Atypical endometrial hyperplasia - Overview | Guy's and St Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust (guysandstthomas.nhs.uk)

I can also recommend giving the Support Line a call if you want to talk things through a bit more. The details are below.

In the meantime, if there is anything you need, then please do ask.

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm