Scared

• 3 replies
  • 70 subscribers

Hi all

I have had my hysterectomy and a 3 course radiotherapy treatment, but now feel alone and scared, work is being so so and although I have support I feel alone and scared, I have so much going through my head that I feel I could scream, I find it hard to talk to the professional people as I can not relax around them. 

I know I have support from the group but wish there was a national and local group for us to meet and talk xx

Sleep is calling me now, night all and speak soon xx

• Hi Melton2023

Welcome to this group of lovely ladies. I have found this group so helpful especially when I was first diagnosed. It really helped knowing there were other people going through what I was going through at the same time. I also found it really useful when I was approaching my hysterectomy. All the tips for packing , what to expect etc. I found I felt less apprehensive. I think we can probably all identify with that awful feeling of everything whirring around in our heads. I find it’s particularly bad at night and to be honest for about the first 6 months or so I went to sleep worrying about cancer and woke up feeling stressed about cancer. My hysterectomy was last June and I am just starting to not have it at the forefront of my mind all the time. I agree with you about local groups however many hospitals have a Maggies centre which I understand have regular meetings for people with the same cancer type and also coffee and chat sessions. Perhaps there is one near you. 

Don’t be afraid to post on here we are all in the same boat and sometimes things seem insurmountable but there is always someone who will have had a similar experience and can empathise.

Linda

• Hi Melton2023, bless you, it’s all a lot to process and there’s typically a fair amount of mental exhaustion once it’s “all over”, coupled with an expectation by some (who are unacquainted with the cancer experience) that we’re “all right now”. I’d suggest contacting your CNS and asking about their “life after cancer” course which is designed to help people work things through along with others who understand. 

• Hi Melton 2023

I think that cancer can knock you sideways and it is not surprising that at times we can feel scared or alone. I found also that during diagnosis and treatment that you are so caught up in all the appointments and getting through the treatment , that it isn't until after it is all done that the processing can start.

I understand that it can be hard to relax around professional people. May I suggest giving the Support Line a call. They can have a look in your local area using your post code to see if there is any local support available. There is also some BUPA counselling available through Macmillan if you feel that may help. Many hospitals also offer a Life after cancer course that may help.

There is also a forum on here that may be worth having a look at.

Life after cancer forum | Macmillan Online Community

Hope this helps a bit

If there is anything else you need then please do ask.

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm