New to chemo

• 11 replies
  • 71 subscribers

I was diagnosed with endometrial cancer Nov 23,i didn't really believe what they were telling me as I always, feel so well. Had total hysterectomy Dec 20th 23 which went fine, no problems. Now I have my final results and find it is grade 3 stage 1 so recommend I have 6 sessions, of chemo. I am starting this on Wednesday and after reading many post regarding side affects I'm starting to get a little scared. 

• Hi Kaff77

I was also stage 1a grade 3 and had hysterectomy 29th Dec.

I was dubious about chemo but had my 1st session on 8th Feb and I am due my 3rd of six next week, apart from nausea the week after which is a pain but the team are still trying to find me a suitable medication to calm that and after session 3 they are going to reduce my paclitaxel as I have pins and needles sporadically 

You will be fine and in good hands with the chemo nurses...

• Thanks for your reply, you've put my mind at rest as your experience doesn't sound to horrific I hope it continues to be that way for you. 

• Hi Kaf77

I had chemo May-Aug2022.

I can understand that it can be really scary to be told you need chemo.

I found it was tough at times but it was still doable. My advice is to go with the flow and rest a lot. There can be side effects but I had nowhere near the amount that I was told about. When I did have side effects they were on the whole managed by adjustments to dose and additional medication. I used scalp cooling and kept my hair- it did thin a lot but I did not need a wig, scarves, hats etc.

The first was the worst for me as you don't really know what to expect but my nurses were brilliant. The chemo unit was a calm and well organised space. Divided into different bays with reclining chairs. I was well looked after as I am sure you will be. The following sessions were easier as you know what to expect.

Good Luck and if you have any questions, I am happy to answer them.

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Thank you for your reply, I am now gradually feeling more relaxed about it all. It's the fear of all the side effects but as you say I hopefully won't get all of them. I'm not good at sitting around but I'm sure my body will tell me when I need to. I hope you're all clear now and living life to the full. 

• My oncologist likened it to the leaflets that you get in a packet of paracetamol- there are a huge amount of possible side effects but you are very unlikely to have them all. With chemo I did have some side effects but on the whole they were manageable. I certainly did not have all of the ones listed. They have to tell you every possible side effect so that you can make an informed choice but it does not mean that you will experience them.

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Kaff77,

I was exactly the same, terrified of chemo and like others on here, I found my first one the worst. From then on, I could predict the days I'd feel rough and I don't know if it's because I knew what to expect, I didn't feel too bad but everyone is different. I have diverticular and IBS so was convinced I'd get sickness and I didn't. Up until the fifth session I was feeling really well within 4 days of chemo. Good luck with it and honestly, it is doable. I met some lovely people on the chemo unit, staff and patients and am still in touch with them. Take care. 

• Thank you, I really appreciate your reply. I suppose it's just wait and see, haven't really got a choice so must just get on with it. Thanks again. 

• I love Zumba and do an hour twice a week, I'm telling myself I may still be able to do this but am I just being ridiculous? 

• Hi Kaf77

i was exactly the same as you are, about chemotherapy, however I have had 3 sessions and have my last session (hopefully) this Wednesday.  What was worse was the not knowing what side effects you will have and not knowing how it will make you feel.  Mostly I’ve felt really tired, lethargic and nauseous after all my treatments, and the third one made me constipated.  All the effects only lasted up to 5 to 6 days after treatment and I started feeling more myself in the week. Encore my next treatments.

I realise that everyone is effected differently and it may depend on your general health as to how you react to the treatment, but I would say that the thought of it was worse than the actual treatment.

Good luck with your treatment and hope you manage it and don’t how too many side effects.

Ange 

• Hi

I was worried too before chemo as I had seen family members go through it decades ago, but they are much more refined now. Everyone reacts differently. I originally got a 2 combo, which 1 hd 90% risk of hair loss and the other 85% risk so cold caps weren't an option and it went in one go, before my 2nd session, which was tough, but manageable. I didn't get a lot of other side effects too badly, bit of nausea, lots of tirednes and the pins and needles but nothing close to my worst fears upon reading the leaflets. The leaflets have to list them all and it terrifies you, but the nurses are great to talk to and they adjust your meds or give you some to help with the side effects when you have the check befoŕe your next one. If you get the nausea/sickness etc you will tend to start to notice a pattern of days when it will hit you, which makes it a little easier.

But remember there are people around to listen when you need them and that our brains always conjour up the worst. My experience and others (sharing in the sessions) didn't have what their worst fears were. Somtimes we can scare ourselves silly. 

Hope it goes well for you, but I'm sure it will x