Endometrial cancer metastasis lung lesion found in right lung Dec 23

• 3 replies
  • 75 subscribers

Hi,

I was diagnosed with Endometrial cancer stage 2 Grade 3, in July 2022. By August 22 I had a full hysterectomy, a X weeks of recovery and then followed up with six weeks of Radiotherapy ending with Brachytherapy.

Unfortunately, December 7th 23, after a CT scan a lung lesion was found. Shocked to hear the news as had really expected to have the all clear.  Second round was 3 sessions of stereotactic I radiotherapy and now have started on SACT - carboplatin- paclitaxel. Total of 6 sessions every 21 days. First session completed, next week Friday will be second round. First chemo was really hard after day 4. Was not expecting the side effects of every joint muscle in my body with a full on episode of my seronegative arthritis. Would welcome any help and advice with anyone with similar things experience

• Hi Velmao2

I am sorry to hear that you have had a recurrence of your endometrial cancer in your lung. It must have been devastating to find out after already undergoing all the treatment in 2022.

I had carboplatin and paclitaxel chemo May-August 2022. 

I had similar effects to you. Paclitaxel in particular can cause pain in your joints, lower back and generally aching all over. I was prescribed more pain medication so it is worth speaking to your hospital for some advice. My pain would start around day 3/4.

Chemo is hard and it can make you feel pretty rubbish however do talk to your team because there is a lot they can do. They can adjust doses, prescribe meds to help with the side effects and generally just offer support. Sometimes for me, it was enough to be able to speak to them and to be told that what I was feeling was normal. 

I found with chemo the fatigue did build up with each cycle and I could do less as the cycles progressed. 

I used to keep a log of symptoms in the book I was given and found that there was a pattern so for eg; if I had nausea on day 2 on one cycle, it was likely on the next, then I could prepare and take meds before the sickness took hold.

One thing that helped me was being prescribed a tapering dose of steroids. On the first cycle I had steroids to take at home for the first 2 days and then they stopped. This sudden drop made me feel really unwell. For the next cycle on the 3rd day I was given half a dose and the 4th day a smaller dose. This made a big difference. Maybe it is something you could ask about.

Good luck for your next cycle. Although it was still tough, it felt a bit easier for me as I knew what to expect.

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi jane2511,

I'm sorry to hear you had to go through the chemotherapy treatment. I hope you are somewhat recovered and don't have any major side effects.

I'm so glad you mentioned the steroids!! I took one the Night with starsght before chemo and one on the day. Thereafter had to take for 2 days at home! I was so wired-up, couldn't sleep or relax! Then on day 4, now (I know is due to the paclitaxel) it's was the whole body of joint pains, from eye movement, headaches to just turning over in bed! 

I will definitely speak to my team in Friday and see if reduction of the steroids will be of help.

Thank you

Velma

• Hi Velma- adjusting the steroids made a big difference for me. Tapering just means that they give you a couple of extra days at a reducing dose. 

I did find the paclitaxel side effects hard, the only thing I would say is to try to just go with the flow and listen to your body- rest as much as you can and keep drinking fluids. And call the hospital helpline to report any effects- they can usually offer things to help. 

I hope your side effects will settle.

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm