Feeling scared, newly diagnosed

• 6 replies
  • 86 subscribers

Hello I am newly diagnosed with grade 3 endometriod cancer which was a shock as I went for a hysteroscopy presuming it was the fibroid grown back and was told it was suspicious of cancer but couldn’t believe it until I got the diagnosis, the same day I met the consultant and had a Ct scan and two days later mri scan on the Saturday . I was so anxious so they phoned me up on Monday to say it was positive stage 1a which I felt so happy about until I read it is after surgery when you find out, I went for first consultation visit yesterday and pre op Friday and prov date next Thursday for robotic hysterectomy plus sentinel nodes.

I had a huge panic attack on Monday and ended up AE as my heart was racing sweating it was all ok but still feel anxious, alone even though I have my husband sons and Famly etc, I’ve been Googling lots of things and scaring myself, the dr told me it’s curative but I am so worried it’s spread to lymph. 

• Hello Shirleydana

I too was diagnosed with Grade 3, Stage 1a Endometrial cancer, please read my bio for timescale. 

It's very frightening and the range of emotions are indescribable to anyone who hasn't gone through this. I wanted to reach out and say that I am here, over 2 years later, I decided to throw everything at it as much as I was able and am lucky to say I am back to normal life again. Two years ago I remember walking round my garden and thinking I probably wouldn't survive to see the same the year following! I kept most of my dire thoughts to myself as didn't want to put it on my family and burden them. 

When I joined this group I found the support I needed to get me through and realised it was not necessarily a death sentence and my pattern of thoughts changed, it was that I COULD get through it and why shouldn't I be one of the 89% or so to be completely cured?

What you are going through today, hopefully will be your history one day, take it one day at a time, don't look too far ahead and remember myself as well as others are here to help, we are all on different paths of this brutal journey. Take care and ask away any questions, ok? X

Madesp 
  • Thank you for your reply, my provisional op is 29/2 at Christie’s hospital I’m so scared of the op too but I know so many have been through the same thing and I need to be brave x 

• I had my op on Oct 16 last year and am back to gym classes 3 times a week. Mine was grade 3 stage 1b and I was meant to have radiotherapy but the POLE mutation meant I didn't need it. I wasn't given a stage prior to the surgery, so I cannot comment on whether it could change, all I can say is if it does change the stage, the consultants will offer the treatment suited to you. There is no point telling you that you do not need to be scared of the surgery, as that would simply dismiss how you are feeling, all I can say is notice the fear and try to choose to do something that soothes you in the moment and reach out as you need either here, the support line or to family x

• That’s so kind thank you I can’t wait to go swimming again xx

• Then keep that as your focus, to be honest, it is quite hard to connect to the reality of what occurred over the past 4-6 months. This morning I took my grandson for our first swimming lesson, it felt great to be able to do that with him after some time of having to be careful x

• Yes they told me today it’s a post traumatic stress x glad you are doing well xxx enjoy your grandson