Hello

• 7 replies
  • 87 subscribers

I was diagnosed womb cancer on 25th Jan 2023 when the consultant revealed it to me. Bless him! He didn’t know that I don’t know about it. Then he apologised but it was a shock for me. Didn’t know how to digest this news. However, I had  two other health issues at the same time so Cancer didn’t take the priority because I wasn’t having any symptoms. 
I had my hysterectomy on 14th Feb and now I am at home. People keep on telling me you are very strong and positive and it will pass.  I know that but sometimes I question myself if that’s the reality???

• Hi MHI and welcome to the group! Well done for having had your op. Was it laparoscopic, robotic or open surgery? How are you feeling now as you recover from surgery? My op was in January 2022 - if you want to read the rest of my story you can click on my name and read my bio. How old are you and were you given a predicted grade and stage pre op? Reading between the lines I’m wondering if you may be feeling a bit of “what on earth just happened?” If these “people” saying this to you haven’t had cancer, even though they mean well, may well not fully grasp what you’ve been through and are still going through. Telling us to be “strong” and “positive” can undermine the momentous thing we’re going through and even put us under pressure that we don’t need. I prefer aiming to be pragmatic, it’s far less exhausting! 

• Hi Marmite,

Thanks for responding. I am 59 years old and it was key whole surgery. Thanks for sharing your story. Look after yourself. 

• I’m 64 and my recovery was good. Have you been able to get out for walks yet? And have you been able to have a poo? The first one is often a bit of a hurdle! Were you given a preliminary grade and stage beforehand? 

• Hi MHI

Welcome to the Online Community and the Womb group. I am sorry to hear that you had a diagnosis of womb cancer last month. I expect it felt like things moved very quickly and a bit of a shock. I hope that you are recovering ok from your hysterectomy. 

There are a lot of lovely ladies on here who will want to offer support so please feel free to ask anything that is on your mind. I found the first few days after my surgery were a case of taking it easy and resting up. I was soon up and about though and going for short walks. I found the recovery pretty straightforward and didn't really have any issues. My post op pathology came back about 3 1/2 weeks after the surgery and it indicated I needed some further treatment. (some people don't) I completed treatment Oct 2022 and have been on 12 weekly check ups since. 

I had a lot of well meaning people say I was strong and to keep positive and although they mean well, it is not always helpful. I just tried to go with the flow to ne honest- some days were better than others but it was about accepting that cancer is tough at times and it is perfectly normal to have your feelings a bit all over the place. You have had a shock with the diagnosis when you did not have any symptoms and were focussing on other health issues. You have also had big surgery, very quickly. Rest up and do what feels right for you.

If at any point talking things through would help, then please do give the Support Line a call. The details are below.

I wish you well with your continued recovery.

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Yes, I was told it’s stage 1. I didn’t know about the grading. Poo was the most difficult part. I couldn’t figure out that the tummy ache is because of constipation or the actual wound. I managed to open my bowel yesterday and this morning but it’s all pebbly.  I haven’t gone out for a walk yet but doing it in the corridor. 
    Can you suggest me some diet that can help with poo please. 
    I have my follow up appointment on 26th Feb. 

• Thanks Jane for your beautiful message of kindness and support. xx

• Hi again MHI, I ate a light diet in the two days up to my op, and post op mostly had protein and fruit, no starchy carbs - so for me that meant little or no bread or cereal. And made sure I was well hydrated. I’d encourage you to go for gentle walks too, as that will help get things moving and help your circulation, breathing etc. The fresh air will also do you good, I  went for a gentle 5 minute walk as soon as I got home and from then did 5 mins a day twice a day for the first few days, then increased one to 10 and so on.