New here

• 7 replies
  • 83 subscribers

Hi,

I had a total hysterectomy on day surgery 12 days ago as my biopsy showed pre-cancerous cells. My surgery went really well and so is my recovery. I received my histology results on Friday and there was cancer stage 1 grade 1 so no further treatment required as the cancer was removed during surgery and it was just in the womb lining. This is great news but I forgot to ask about follow up. Has anyone else had the same diagnosis and did they require follow up?

Thank you 

• Hi there yes I did last week results  no further treatment  but not going back till next week to see gyno for this  but nurse mentioned on phone that my hosp does patient led follow ups but will see what she says next week  im  sure you will have a apt soon so can advise you as I'm not sure what to do really 

would you go with patient led  Or want regular check ups 

• Hi, I think I would prefer regular hospital check ups. It was my gynaecologist who called me with my results I think she said a nurse would be calling me but no calls yet but I only got my results on Friday. Was your results similar to mine?

• Yes I've seen a letter to my gp saying what it  was and no further treatment needed and the  nurse also called me 

she will go over next week  nurse said and about follow ups 

I had my op 4 weeks ago 

what I read on here check ups are every 3 months and include a scan 

• Thank you I will wait for my call from the nurse 

• Let me know what you decide 

• Hi tsj68, that’s great news and I’m really pleased for you! Something I’d suggest you might like to consider is finding out about a “life after cancer” course that your hospital is likely to do, either perhaps as a whole day session or as part day sessions. The aim is to help you process the emotions and stress or a cancer diagnosis, and to help you move on. This can be a challenge even when you don’t need any treatment as you’ve spent the last however many weeks or months having this and that test done, and seeing professionals - and then all of a sudden it stops and life goes on, With regard to follow up, most hospitals are seeming to offer patient-led follow up for grade 1 stage 1a or 1b. In these instances, if the patient doesn’t feel confident and wants actually check ups, the patient can request in person follow ups until they feel confident to move to patient led. In person checks usually involve a chat and an examination, including an internal examination. To my knowledge it would *not* normally include a scan for grade 1 stage 1 unless the patient had previously had other cancers which would mean they’d benefit from closer monitoring. 

• Thank you I will look into the course. At the moment I am on quite a high as this surgery is life changing for me due to the many years and previous treatments for extremely heavy bleeding and irregular bleeding. The surgery alone will change my life so I haven’t really focused on the cancer side, I always felt I knew the outcome would be there was cancer