Full Hysterectomy after unsuccessful biopsy

• 7 replies
  • 88 subscribers

Hi everyone. 

I have a thick endometrial lining of 7.1 and was sent for a biopsy, twice! Both times were unsuccessful as I have an obliterated uterus due to a previous ablation. Scar tissue is too thick to be able to get to the endometrium. 

The consultant has told me that the only way forward is to have a full hysterectomy (uterus, cervix, ovaries and fallopian tubes). This is the only way they will be able to find out if I have cancer. 

In short, I am having the treatment before a diagnosis. Has anyone else been through this? 

• Hello 1Ness

Welcome to the Online Community.

I am sorry to hear that you have scar tissue that makes a biopsy not possible.

I can understand that it is worrying to be told that you need to have a hysterectomy and that this will be the only way to know for sure whether there is cancer present. But I suppose with a thickened endometrium without a biopsy-it is the way forward now. 

I had my hysterectomy in 2022 and it was pretty straightforward. I had very little pain and recovered quickly. I went home the following day. If you want to ask anything about the surgery, then please do so. There are many lovely ladies on here who have had or are having the same operation as you will be having and they will be able to share their experiences with you and offer support. 

I do know of people who have had repeated hysteroscopies/biopsies for hyperplasia and because it can, in some ladies mean cancer could develop they have opted to have the surgery. I am sure that the consultant has discussed the options at an MDT meeting (with the other professionals) and that they have agreed its the best thing to do. My post surgery pathology results took 3 1/2 weeks to come back but there is some variation between hospitals.

If you feel talking things through would help, then please do give the Support Line a call. The number is at the bottom of this. 

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi Jane. 

Thank you for your reply. 

I am 49 and I am concerned about the recovery side of surgery.  Also about going into full blown menopause. At the moment I'm on the menopause bus but have not quite reached the destination. 

I'm seeing the consultant tomorrow afternoon and my surgery date is 3rd January. Any ideas on questions I should be asking would be a great help. 

• I’m older than you at 59 so hd already got the menopause out the way when I had my hysterectomy in September…but my experience re recovery was pretty straightforward…

I had my op on 18th September going into theatre around 9.30am.  I was back on the ward around 2pm having asked them to remove the catheter whilst I was in recovery as I found it uncomfortable…the only pain I had was from trapped wind but that cleared overnight.  I was home by lunchtime the next day and took things easy as advised. At the time of my op I was also recovering from a badly broken left arm which happened a month before my op.

Apart from a large haematoma which was behind the wound by my belly button I had no problems with my recovery and it was actually much easier than I thought it would be.  Gentle walks twice a day and before I knew it I was back driving and doing everything I did before.

As long s you follow the advice they give you when you are discharged you really don’t need to fret too much about recovery.

I hope you op goes well x

• Thank you. It's reassuring to hear your recovery process. 

• I should add that my personal experience with menopause was also nothing like I expected…a few hot flushes and that was it, I consider myself lucky in that respect because so many women suffer badly with it. 

• Hello 1Ness

My hysterectomy was straightforward and recovery was quick, the usual trapped wind and discomfort due to unable to open my bowels which resolved within few days, walking helped immensely both with the wind and opening my bowels. Also, I found I could only sleep on my back for the first week, I'm usually a side sleeper so I found I didn't get any quality sleep till week 2. 

You say you're 49 so you are on the way to menopause and I too was around 49 in the midst of it and totally stopped having periods at around 52. In my opinion, I would rather go through the menopause than risk cancer. Maybe it's easy for me to say this as other than really heavy bleeding and hot flushes, I didn't really have any other serious issues or ever had to take HRT.

I don't know what you could ask the consultant other than how thick does the endometrium need to be before cancer is suspected, your thickness measuring at  7.1(seems not too bad) while mine was 19mm!! The consultant performing hysteroscopy, at the time said he didn't think there was anything serious going on! I eventually was diagnosed with high grade Cancer but early stage, hence why I'm here able to write this today!

Wishing you well, please do let us know the outcome and do also reach out should you have any questions. X

Madesp 
  • Hi 1Ness, 

I am 49 and had my total hysterectomy on Oct 18 after a cancer diagnosis in September. 9 weeks post op, I am back exercising and feeling relatively normal, the hot flushes are a major inconvenience and not great at helping me sleep and I am weeing a lot also, but other than that, I am ok physically. 

I had the robot assisted laparoscopic surgery and that seemed pretty straightforward.  Feel free to ask any questions you may have .

Bev