Feeling numb and unsure

• 4 replies
  • 86 subscribers

I am newly diagnosed with Womb /Endometrial cancer.

Although I m newly diagnosed myself I have spent all of lockdown supporting my mum through Ovarian Cancer, Hysterectomy and Chemo (thankfully as she is in her 80s and I am her carer I was allowed a pass to go to all her appointments and treatments with her), so I am all to familiar with what could be coming for me now.

I actually think that I was so aware something was 'wrong' because of everything we have been though in the last 2 years.

Mum got her 1 year remission in April, a week later I stated feeling unwell, 10 days later (on my birthday!) I received a letter referring me on the 2 week pathway, which I knew from experience with mum meant that they suspected Cancer.

Just been told after a grading MRI (which was a nightmare as I am claustrophobic!) that I do have cancer which I am still trying to take in, its one thing suspecting it but hearing it is hard to hear.

I think I'm feeling kind of numb and frustrated right now, life was just starting to get back to some kind of normal for us, with just monthly bloods and check ups for mum and 3 monthly CT scans, and now I feel like we are right back where we were 2 years ago, with the added pressure that I am now a carer with cancer myself, and I just feel overwhelmed and exhausted now juggling all the appointments for me, my mum and my dad who has his own medical issues.

Just not sure where I start working out how I navigate through all this right now.

• Hi Anniie

I am so sorry to hear your news,  I  too am supporting a loved one with endometrial cancer and its such a shock to learn that I have it ( although it's a different type),  we look to our loved ones and their experiences and that bit of extra knowledge can be very scary,  but... we have to realise that everyone's journey is different. I hope you will find this group of supportive ladies a comfort and somewhere where people can empathise with one another. Take care xx

• Hi Anniie

Iam sorry that you find yourself here with us on this site but rest assured that you have come to a place where you are among ladies who understand what it's like and have some pearls of wisdom to offer about their own experiences.

I really feel for you having been through so much with your Mum. I too was in a similar situation having nursed my Mum through lung Cancer at the start of lockdown and then loosing my Dad 4 months later. My Mum too is on regular check ups and is doing really well.

The waiting for results is the hardest thing to cope with but try to stay calm and not worry.

I completely understand why you are feeling overwhelmed and exhausted. Have you spoken to your GP about feeling like this or Macmillan help line?

We are here for you Anniie.

Big hugs Robin x

•   Hi   and a warm welcome to our little corner of the Online Community. Here you'll find a lovely group of supportive ladies who have all been exactly where you find yourself now. I'm so sorry you find yourself here after supporting your Mum through her treatment.

It’s always helpful to others if you write a little something (or a lot) about yourself and how you came to find yourself here. Why not take a few moments to update your profile. It's always helpful for us to read if we want to ask you questions and you also won't end up repeating yourself. You can enter it into your profile (click on your username and select “Profile”) . You can amend or update it at any time. If you’re not sure what to write, just click on my username.

If you want to ask any of us any questions please come back and do so. There's always someone around and we can offer a shoulder to cry on, a hand to hold or listen to a rant, we’re here for you.

It might also be a good idea to download this booklet Understanding Womb (Endometrial) Cancer. I found it invaluable on my journey. 

Click on the link I’ve created to find out more information covering diagnosis and treatments for Womb cancer.

You might also find this link to what to take in my overnight bag useful for when you have surgery.

You can speak to someone in confidence by calling Macmillan Support on 0808 808 0000 - 365 days a year 8am to 8pm It's free from mobiles and landlines. The friendly team are waiting to take your call.

There is also an Ask an Expert section, but you should allow two to three working days for replies from our expert team.

Sending you welcoming hugs, Barb xx 

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

•   so sorry you’re in this position just when your life was starting to get back to some normality. I’ll echo what others have said, this is a fantastic forum for support, as much or as little as you need, I’ve found it invaluable and has helped me get through the last couple of months. There’s always someone here when you’re feeling a need to rant, ask questions or just chat.

Chrissie xx