Newly diagnosed

• 6 replies
  • 69 subscribers

Hi, I had a small post menopausal bleed, lasting less than 24 hours, at the end of April.  I saw my nurse practitioner the following day, who took bloods and swabs to rule out infection. She also referred me to hospital for further investigation.  Bloods and swabs were clear.

At hospital I was examined and a biopsy was taken and everything looked okay, although an appointment for an internal ultrasound was requested. Other than the 'spotting', I had no symptoms and don't meet any of the risk factors and I left feeling reassured.

I had a call to go back last Tuesday, to be told I had grade 1, endometrial cancer and I was scheduled for a full hysterectomy, inc. fallopian tubes and ovaries on 30th May. 

They checked for Lynch's and that was negative-he said I am just very unlucky. I am so pleased I had it checked out.

• Hi . Welcome to our corner in the Online Community. Wow that must be some sort or record the speed at which you've been tested and given a date for surgery!

My symptoms was also a negligible PMB, pink mucous like spotting I was going to ignore. I'm so glad my bestie nagged me to get it checked out. I'd never had gynae problems other than painful smear tests, had sailed through the menopause with nothing other than hot flushes. Cancer was the very last thing I expected. TBH I'd never heard of Endometrial cancer.

So good you got it checked out. Smear tests, nor blood tests do not detect this type of cancer. 

It’s always helpful to others if you write a little something (or a lot) about yourself and how you came to find yourself here. Why not take a few moments to update your profile. It's always helpful for us to read if we want to ask you questions and you also won't end up repeating yourself. You can enter it into your profile (click on your username and select “Profile”) . You can amend or update it at any time. If you’re not sure what to write, just click on my username.

If you want to ask any of us any questions please come back and do so. There's always someone around and we can offer a shoulder to cry on, a hand to hold or listen to a rant, we’re here for you.

It might also be a good idea to download this booklet Understanding Womb (Endometrial) Cancer. I found it invaluable on my journey. 

Click on the link I’ve created to find out more information covering diagnosis and treatments for Womb cancer.

You might also find this link to what to take in my overnight bag useful for when you have surgery.

You can speak to someone in confidence by calling Macmillan Support on 0808 808 0000 - 365 days a year 8am to 8pm It's free from mobiles and landlines. The friendly team are waiting to take your call.

There is also an Ask an Expert section, but you should allow two to three working days for replies from our expert team.

Sending you welcoming hugs, Barb xx 

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• Thanks MrsBJH, it definitely has been very fast! 

Last week, I was very positive and practical-buying nighties, sorting comfy clothes and organising things. That's totally changed and now and it feels like I'm on an emotional roller coaster! So I'm pleased I didn't have to wait any longer.

Take care

• Hi Lola, bless you, I imagine your feet may feel like they haven’t touched the ground! Amazing that you’ve got your date so quickly and also that they’ve already checked for Lynch - my Lynch test was done post op. Have you had your pre op assessment already?

• In case you might find it helpful, here’s a link to a diary thread I started when I had my op community.macmillan.org.uk/.../hysterectomy-day-and-after---diary

• Hi, my pre-op is tomorrow. They checked for Lynch's early because I don't have any of the risk factors. He said they might do some further genetic testing.

It's not how I envisaged my 50th birthday! I was supposed to be in the sun, sipping cocktails with my family to celebrate. Hopefully everything will go to plan and that will be our reason to celebrate.

• They’re certainly very organised! I had the BRCA tests post op too. I noticed you said about buying nighties - I wore one once then just wore my PJs when I got home. Amazing to think that this time next week you’ll be all done and dusted!