Hello and Menopause Question

• 6 replies
  • 87 subscribers

Hi everyone

First post from me although have been reading lots of your questions and posts over the last month or so. I was diagnosed at the end of March and had a hysterectomy just over 2 weeks ago. Feeling lucky that everything went well and histology results have confirmed the original Stage 1A diagnosis.

One thing I would be interested to know though is other people’s experience of surgical menopause after their hysterectomy? I’m in my early 40s so was pre-menopausal before surgery. I was expecting to be hit with full on menopause symptoms pretty much straightaway but 2 weeks in and I’m still waiting for things to happen. Is this other people’s experience too? Also I’m keen to start learning about any non hormonal treatments people are using as my consultant is saying HRT is probably not going to be an option in my case. 

Any thoughts appreciated! 

• Hi  I had my surgery in November and was 33 at the time(was 34 in December) and all I have experienced up to now is hot flushes and night sweats but not all the time, I go through phases of it for a couple of days then won’t have it for a while then have it again.  Hope this helps. X

• Thanks  really helpful to know how things are for you. One of my close friends is a bit older than me and has had a really bad time with her menopause so I think that’s what I had in my head! Glad to know you’re doing ok! 

• Hi CeeJay, I went through the menopause 8 years before my cancer, but I used a herbal product called Agnus Castus (Chasteberry) and hardly had any symptoms at all. I also drink soya milk every day and I believe that can also help.

• Many herbal remedies contain compounds that have powerful properties and may not always be advisable.  Chasteberry can have an effect on hormones so anyone treated for womb cancer  should seek medical advice  before taking it.

XXXX

Anne

(Class of 2015!)

• Absolutely! Wouldn’t take anything without conversations with my team first. I actually hadn’t really thought about herbal treatments, I had medical alternatives to HRT more in mind but open to exploring all options. 

• Absolutely Anne, anyone with any medical conditions should ask their medical team before taking anything