Anyone else having bad back pain?

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 5 replies
  • 84 subscribers

I've just signed up here although I had my initial diagnosis and treatment last year (during the pandemic).  That was hysterectomy and radiotherapy, after which I hoped I might have been cured.  However at my second check up in March, although the examination looked fine, my consultant was concerned that I'd had back pain of various sorts since October, and physio had not sorted it out.  So I was sent for a CT scan, which showed a recurrence of the cancer around one of the lymph nodes, near my kidney. 

I've been told that this is not curable, and I'm having chemotherapy as a disease control/palliative measure.  I've had just one round of chemo so far, which was OK.  The problem I was having with constipation afterwards was because of painkillers I was already on before starting on chemo.  However my splendid Macmillan nurse has worked hard to get me on the right medication, and finally a change of painkiller, along with carefully judged laxatives, has got me working pretty normally again. 

However the back pain, though it's been helped by the painkillers (I'm now on two pretty strong ones) is still very present, and very much affecting my daily life.  My dose of the newer painkiller has just been increased, which is making me feel quite groggy.  It's hard to walk for any distance, which means I'm not getting much exercise, and have to plan carefully if I need to walk anywhere so as to make only one trip a day.  I'm hoping that the chemo, if it has an effect, will make a difference to this pain; I'm told that it might but there seems to be a real possibility that it won't.

I'd really like to hear from anyone who has experience of this.  How did you deal with it?  Did the chemo help? 

• Hello Hermit

im sorry to hear about your recurrence 

my mummy has had a recurrence as well in her pelvic lymph nodes and para ortic lymph lymph node.  She’s also receiving chemo to control the spread etc 

yes - she also had quite bad back pain.  It went after the 2nd chemo and she’s now mobile like she was before Pray tone2Pray tone2Pray tone2Pray tone2

shes had three cycles... three more to go and hoping the nasty cells will be killed off

happy to answer any questions you may have    My mum is also on a clinical trial   Happy to send you details 

chin up. I’m sure the back pain will go away x Pray tone2Pray tone2Pray tone2Pray tone2Heart

sending you lots of love 

• Hi  and welcome to our little corner of the community. I'm sorry to read of your recurrence, especially as I was the same as you (stage 1B, grade 3 serous aggressive) having had my op probably the same time as you. I've just had my 6 month consultation discharged from Oncology back to Gynae.

My husband's waiting a hip replacement and his painkillers are also affecting him badly. They're doing nothing to ease the pain but he's virtually asleep all day, no longer feels able to drive. He's been given sachets of Laxido to help constipation which he seems to be needing every third day. Just heard about the NHS waiting lists for hip replacements etc. so life for the foreseeable won't get much better.

You could always Ask a Nurse here on the forum (just click on the link). You may need to wait a day or so for a reply.

Sending hugs, Barb xx Hugging

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hello Lucki,

I'm sorry to hear about your Mum's recurrence; I know it came as a difficult shock to me and I expect it did to her too. 

But I'm really glad to hear that her back pain went after the 2nd chemo - that's good for her, and gives me hope too.  I have my second chemo tomorrow, so here's hoping!

No one has mentioned any clinical trials yet; if they do I may come back and take up your offer of details.

Thanks for responding, and for giving me some hope.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hello Barb,

Thanks for sharing your experience; and I'm sorry to hear about your husband.  I'm lucky to have a very good Macmillan nurse who is determined to get me into less pain, and not constipated.  She's managed the second, and we're working on the first; a change of painkiller made a lot of difference to the constipation.  I'm taking a bigger dose of the second painkiller I'm on, and am feeling a bit woozy, but able to function reasonably well most of the time.  I'm hoping this will wear off in time, while still working on the pain.  I hope your husband might manage to find something which will help with the pain without knocking him out the whole time.

Good to know you've been discharged to Gynae  - something to look forward to for me!

• Pleasure.  Good luck with chemo tomorrow x HeartsHeartsHeartsHearts