Not the club I was expecting to join

• 2 replies
  • 30 subscribers

I've just been diagnosed and don't even know what treatment I'll need or anything really.

I think at first you think you're the only one but I see I'm not.

I've got a hospital appointment next week and I'm supposed to be going on holiday at the end of the month am I being dumb thinking ill get?

• Hi  and welcome to the community.

I haven’t had the same type of cancer (mine was cervical) but wanted to reply so you know your post has been read. Hopefully other ladies will come along and add their experiences. 

It’s  hard when you first get a diagnosis and usually quite a shock, and you’ve got a lot to process. I see you’ve got an appointment coming up where you’ll find out more, and it would be a good chance to ask about your holiday once you know what the next steps will be. 

It will depend usually on what treatment is planned for you and how soon it will happen, so don’t lose hope about going just yet! I’ve had holidays cancelled myself due to my cancer, so I understand how disappointing that can be, but I’ve also been able to go on holiday in between times. The consultant will be able to advise, and if you’re going abroad it would be a good idea to let your insurance company know what’s happening in case it affects your cover.

I know that other ladies in the group have experience of various treatments for this cancer, so I hope you’ll hear from them soon. Please let us know how you get on at your appointment and if you can get away. I do hope so. 

You’re very welcome to be here and use the group to ask any questions or simply get support from others who have been through this. 

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi Tipsy, I had never heard of vulva cancer when i was diagnosed and I had a radical vulvectomy to remove it. I had cancer on one side and pre cancerous cells on the other so they removed both sides. I also had cancer in my ovaries and cervix. I was petrified about having the procedure, however it was probably the most straight forward of the 3. I still haven't managed to look down there but it healed quite quickly. I just joked that I had a designer vagina for free. It can sometimes take a while before treatment starts as they do lots of scans etc so you may still be able to have your holiday. Good luck with everything x