Bartholin’s gland cancer

• 2 replies
  • 30 subscribers
  • Hello, I’m Jan & new on here. I have a very rare cancer called Bartholin’s Gland cancer. There is no literature about it but the cancer nearest to it is vulva cancer. It was thought I just had a Bartholin’s cyst but when I went for surgery they found a large tumour which had spread a little to my rectum. I had a large excision then 5 weeks of vulval radiotherapy & I am now 11 weeks post treatment.  Waiting to see my oncologist next week & hopefully get an MRI scan to see if my treatment has worked. 

• I still get pain in my vulva & I cannot sit comfortably or wear trousers as it’s so uncomfortable. Has anyone else experienced this? I was told I would be sore for a few weeks but was expecting to be improving but I’m not. Has anyone else experienced this pain after vulval radiotherapy? 
  • Hi Jan A radiotherapy can take quite some time recover from, as the radiotherapy continues to work for some time after the treatment has stopped. It can also make the skin quite thin in that area and the skin can tear very easily, so I am wondering if the pain and discomfort might be from that.  

Please mention this to the oncologist when you see him next week. Good luck with the MRI its a very stressful time waiting for results to see if treatment has worked. Please let us know how you get on x 

Chelle 

Try to be a rainbow,in somebody else's cloud
    Maya Angelou

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Jan. I was recently diagnosed with Bartholin gland cancer and have been searching high and low for others since it is so rare. I wanted to see if you’d be willing to share an update. How are you doing??