Lonely and upset

• 6 replies
  • 35 subscribers

Hi I am 37 years old and been going for regular smears told the lady every time I have a lump on my perinium that is getting bigger and very sore. Was told for the last 5 years it was nothing to worry about..... Even though I had high levels of HPV. Took poorly on the 19th of February rushed to hospital suspected sepsis. All test came back normal told them about my lump sent me up to gynecology and asked to do biopsy. Sent home for to have a good phone call on the 26th of February to ask me to go into hospital the next day 27th to discuss results of my biopsy. I was told on the 27th of February I have vulvar cancer and needed an operation to remove the tumor and have lymph nodes removed from both sides of my groin. After CT scan and MRI Scan then pet CT scan I was given a date if the 11th of April to remove all infected tissue and lymph nodes. Had operation all went as well as it could. A fortnight later back for results to be told I had stage 1b as it had not affected my lymph nodes so luckily I caught it in time. No further treatment was needed ie radiotherapy or chemotherapy as surgery had managed to get rid of the tumor. I am now feeling very tired and emotionally drained I have support from friends and family but feel like I am holding back on how I really feel as they don't fully understand how Iam feeling. I am healing well but inside I am very angry and upset. My left leg is very numb and my groin wounds are healing slowly right just stopped leaking fluid. My left lip is still very swollen and I'm worried it won't return back to normal as no feelings in it same as my leg. I am used to working since I left school so this is all new and very frustrating to me as I want to work but unfortunately I can't. I have a daughter currently sitting exams and her prom is cumming up I feel so down even though I should be happy. I feel like I am handling it all badly even though my partner of 14years says I'm doing amazing I don't think I am. I wanted to talk to others who have been through my situation so I know I am not alone. 

• Hi Plutonium

Welcome to the Online Community.

I am so sorry to hear of your journey with vulval cancer. I am sorry that you are feeling lonely and upset.

You certainly have had a busy 4 months and it is no surprise that now you are feeling as you do. It must have been frustrating to feel you weren't listened to when you mentioned the lump during your smear tests. I can understand your anger and being upset. To finally have it looked at due to suspected sepsis and then to have everything happen- it must have felt overwhelming. 

I am pleased that it was early stage and there was no spread. However you have still been through something massive and stressful. You have had a big surgery and that naturally means you are recovering at home and gives you time to think things over and process what has happened. I found that with my own cancer (endometrial) that although I had well intentioned friends, colleagues and family - it can be hard for people to truly understand unless they have experienced it. 

Although you say you are healing well- and that is good to hear- you are still in the first couple of months of recovery. Have you got a supportive CNS that you can talk to. Someone to check the healing and although you still have swelling and numbness etc- it might help to get some reassurance that what you are experiencing is normal and to be expected. And if there is something that needs addressing then they can arrange it for you. They may be able to suggest something that will help with the swelling as I imagine it must be extremely uncomfortable for you.

It is natural to worry during recovery that things will not get back to normal but from my own treatments I know that it does take time. I found it difficult at first as well with work- as I was used to working and you also miss the structure and day to day interaction with colleagues etc. I hope you have been able to keep in touch with them as this helped me.

It must be tough with the added pressure of your daughter sitting her exams. I hope they have gone well for her and that she now is looking forward to her prom. I understand that this is a special moment for you all- but you should not feel guilty for feeling down. I expected to feel really happy when my treatment finished but it took a while to process everything and work through the emotions. They ranged from feeling flat, angry, sad, overwhelmed and gradually relief started and once I had healed somewhat from it- then I started to feel better.

I am glad you have support from your partner but sometimes I found that the people closest to me were the hardest to talk to- I wonder if it would be an idea to call the Support Line tomorrow and just chat things through. There is some counselling available via Bupa/Macmillan but there may also be some support local to you. If you don't feel up to phoning then there is also an Online Chat feature that I have used myself. 

I think how you are feeling is very normal for everything that has happened to you. You are still healing physically and dealing with the emotions of a cancer diagnosis. When something as massive as cancer happens, you can feel alone and while outwardly people think you are coping well- it doesn't mean that it hasn't been a really tough time. I found sometimes other people had more faith in me than I had in myself. 

Please do not feel alone, you are not. Pick up the phone tomorrow- get the physical stuff checked for some reassurance and give the Support Line a call if you feel it would help. And post on here as much as it helps. Sometimes just writing it down and expressing how you feel can really help.

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Thanks for your reply. I had check up Tuesday last week but not my normal consultant as she was off poorly which knocked me back as I was looking forward to seeing her as the last time I seen her was just before my surgery. The lady said I am healing well and no signs of infection which is good I have a lymphocyst under the skin on my left hand side which in time should resolve itself but it's causing a lot of pain and discomfort. I have granulation tissue hanging from the wound on my right hand side so suggest no to wear underwear when in the house which is all the time. I don't go out as I don't feel strong enough yet. They have said the vulvar is healing really well as they took a 15x4 mm tumor out which was needed with 2mm margin it is still very wet and i need to wear a pad to stop fluid making my skin sore and wet. They said my side effects should get better day by day it's just not me though and i get so frustrated because I am never unwell like this.

I didn't stay in touch with my work place as to them it was inconvenient of me taking poorly as they were short staffed enough even though I was putting fit notes in i got the feeling they didn't believe me so i chose not to stay in touch with them. I did care in the community so I was busy everyday now I'm not it sends me insane all day to think and nothing to do. 

My partner is wonderful helped me through it all and helped to support my daughter but I feel like I hold back on what I say now as I am scared Incase it's too much for him and don't want him to leave me because it's a lot to take on. I am pleased there is no further treatment as I am tired now which they say is very normal and it's normal to be upset I just feel everyday I am getting lower and lower and I can't pick myself back up it is frustrating not being able to do the things I used to as I get so tired very quickly which makes me more upset and the anxiety gets worse which makes the depression worse. I feel like I am going round and round in circles. I feel so useless as even going for a short walk absolutely tires me out to the point I come home and sleep. I don't know how to explain how I am feeling when people ask as I am so confused and hold a lot back.

A lot of people have said I am strong I'm a cancer warrior and I'm doing amazing I just don't feel it at all. I have a cancer nurse who is good but don't want to feel like I am bothering her all the time with how I am feeling. I have had an appointment with a psychologist but only one appointment I'm not sure if I should be ringing them to ask for another appointment as I've never been in this position before I feel scared that I won't get back to who I used to be and that's the hard part. I see my scars/ wounds and think I'll always be this way. They have offered reconstruction surgery but I don't know if I want it as this operation really took it out of me and I know I have to take each day as it comes but worried if I go for reconstruction then I will be worse off with the side effects. 

Thanks for talking to me I appreciate it. 

• Hi, I’m so sorry you’re going thru this and feeling so lonely. I’ve been thru this myself for vulva cancer and removal of 2cm area and removal of both left/right lymph nodes. I suffered with an infection from my drain site which took 3 lots of antibiotics but then caused a fistula. I’ve decided not to go ahead with another operation to repair this as I’m not ready to have a temporary stoma bag whilst this is healing I’m my bowels. I’ve also got numbness in my thigh and damaged nerve endings in my groin area but these are improving over time. I had my operation back in November and was made redundant from my job last month along with 100+ others but I’m taking time off to recover now and get myself 100%. Contact your Macmillan nurse and ask them to put you in touch with a Macmillan “Buddy”,  these are people who have been thru cancer illnesses who call you weekly to chat about your concerns and help you cope with anything you want to discuss, I found them absolutely brilliant. I hope you start to feel better soon and keep chatting on here because everyone understands how you’re feeling as they’ve all gone through so much xx

• Hi Plutonium

Am glad that you have had a check up and that there are no signs of infection. It sounds a really painful experience. Sounds a good idea to wear no underwear in the house as I suppose the more air getting at it the better. It must be frustrating when you are normally fit and well to be going through this and no wonder you are feeling down.

I am sorry that work were not more supportive. But you should not feel guilty for taking time out to deal with a serious health issue. I was lucky in that my work were supportive- but I did feel guilty for a long time and felt I was letting people down by being off. I missed the day to day routines. It is hard when you are normally so busy and then need to take time out. And it does give you time to think. I suppose in a way I tried to deal with it by thinking that if I did go in, I would not be much use to anyone so to focus on getting recovered and fit again was all I could do. In the end I left my job to focus on health.

The fatigue you are feeling is similar to mine and it will gradually improve- your body is healing at the moment and that needs energy and dealing with the emotional aspect and processing it all also takes energy. I found pacing myself and doing a small amount and then resting, on and off throughout the day helped. Fatigue seems to be a common factor in lots of people's cancer journeys.

Something as big as cancer is going to affect relationships and I understand that although your partner is being really supportive- you are scared to say how you really feel in case it is too much for him. 

Your cancer nurse will not feel like you are bothering them and it is their job to support you. Perhaps it could be that because you are feeling so low that you don't want to bother them? If you feel that the psychologist you saw helped then call them and ask for a follow up appointment. I don't know if this is one arranged through your hospital, but at mine there is something called HOPE counselling and with it there is an initial appointment to talk about what you need and want and how it can help. But it is a journey rather than a quick fix and there were 6 sessions on offer. 

As the lady below mentioned there is something called Macmillan Buddies and that can be accessed through the Support Line. You can also email Macmillan if you prefer. You ay you don't know how you are feeling and are confused when people ask. I felt the same for a while. I didn't like being called a warrior or brave either. It made me feel a bit of a fraud. I certainly didn't feel brave- I was scared most of the time- but I was just doing what I had to do to get better. 

Dealing with the scars must be hard but at the moment perhaps try to focus on that you are not yet healed, that will take time and you do not yet know how it will look when it is fully healed. Perhaps try not to think to much about reconstructive surgery yet- if it is worrying you- perhaps just think of it as being there if you do decide in the future you want it. 

With your mood getting lower I wonder whether it would be worth consulting with your GP and getting monitored. It may be that a short course of something might help. 

I am sorry that you are dealing with all of this. Think about calling the Support Line- they are lovely on there and sometimes just talking it through with someone who understands, can really help.

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• I am much older than most on here and was diagnosed with vulvar cancer in March. I started bleeding in February which was a bit odd for my age! I can sympathise with Plutonium's up and downs.

I have had biopsies, ultra sound, hysteroscopy,   CT scans, PET scan. First told I was lucky, had been caught early. Just easy cut out job. Then told I had kissing lesions and was more complicated and would need plastic surgery. Then lesions were bigger than thought - 5.4cm left 3.3cm right depth of less than 1mm. Referred to 3rd consultant who refused to operate. Apparently I am not a typical 79 year old! I am fit and active physically and mentally. The 2cm clearance around the cancer would leave me with 2 stoma bags removal of lymphs and permanent swelling in my legs and my quality of life at zero.

Now with 4th consultant and finished my first week of a course of 25 weekday external radiotherapy with 5 weekly doses of chemo and then likely to be hospitalised for 4 days for Brachytherapy.

• Cons - the tiredness, the mood swings caused by good news followed by bad. If it's that rare why did it choose me? The loneliness No one has heard of it or even knew you could get it. The soreness - I'm an avid quilter and it's difficult to sit down for long. The daily hospital visits. Luckily the hospital is not far away for me. The fact that my cancer is HPV based and I've only had 2 sexual partners. You didn't get in my knickers easily! Hmm.

Pros - My consent form for chemo says the objective is to cure.

Things that make me laugh - the modesty sheet over your pubic area and then they delve in your lady bits!

The warning of possible late onset side effects that can come on in 10 years. At my age that would be a bonus!

My mission is to be open about it and tell everyone who wants to know about it. Forewarned is forearmed and those who haven't had the HPV jab will be more aware. 

A long screed, but try and see the lighter things that make you smille - not easy I know, but it isn't all bad. I've had bad depression in the past and it's hard but I've come through it. Do seek help. 

M x

• Hello Plutonium,

I am so sorry you are going through this.  I was diagnosed last year, which came as a huge shock to me and my husband.  I had a radical vulvectomy and removal of all my ‘lady bits”and clitoris and bilateral lymph nodes.  Like you, all the cancer was removed and the surrounding tissue and lymph nodes were clear.  I was told not to wear underwear for about 6 weeks as healing is quicker with air getting to the wounds.  One lymph area filled up and a small cyst was drained.  It soon decreased.

You have to listen to your body and rest when needed.  This is a major operation you have gone through and you need to give yourself time.  Psychologically it is hard to come to terms with, losing your feminine parts, I still find it difficult but at least am still here to tell the tale.  I am now 74 years of age but still find it hard to come to terms with.

please don’t keep your feelings bottled up, I am sure your husband will be understanding.  Ring the psychiatrist and ask for another session or coping methods, yes ring the Macmillan help line, your nurse or doctor.  You are not alone and we understand your feelings.  Feel free to contact me any time.  Be kind to yourself. xx