Just been diagnosed

• 21 replies
  • 9 subscribers

Hi, I have just been diagnosed with vaginal cancer and going for an mri scan tomorrow, I feel totally numb because I had convinced myself that the lump was benign. 
I am struggling to even process the diagnosis and struggling to accept it, I understand everyone deals with things differently but it really hasn’t sunk in..

• Hi Poppy2024, I dont have your type of cancer but i am replying on your struggling with your diagnosis. Its so upsetting and i expect you want to scream and cry like we all have done, you just feel so low. Its early days for you and trust me at your stage now we have all been in your shoes. When you have had your MRI and seen an oncologist to sort out your treatment plan you will feel much better, that might sound impossible right now but you will. Most of our anxietys come from the unknown, whats going to happen next, are there any treatments for my cancer and so on. There are treatments and new ones all the time. My first cancer was in 2004 and i am still here today so there is always something. Give yourself time for it all to sink in and do not google, all that info is out of date and you will scare yourself unnecessarily. All the best with your MRI tommorrow, and best wishes for your treatment plan xx

• Hi  andcwrlcome to the group.

It’s very difficult to have a cancer diagnosis and it takes some time to get your head round it when you’re thrown into appointments and scans etc at the start of this process. 

I’ve been through cervical cancer with my tumour growing into my vagina, and I’ve gone through chemo and radiation, followed by surgery when my cancer recurred, so I can understand what this is like. Your mri scan will give your team more information to help determine the stage of your cancer, and from there the treatment plan. I would honestly say things do start to feel better when you know exactly what you’re dealing with and what the plan will be. Then you can focus your energy on getting through.

For now, my best advice would be to take a day at a time, less than that if you need to, as you come to terms with your diagnosis. Please ask any questions as they come into your head as you know more, and we will do our best to help support you from our own experiences. 

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Thank you for your advice, my mri scan went ok just to wait until Wednesday to see what treatment plan the mdt decides, still feeling numb but until I know the options I don’t think I can really relax until I get my treatment plan xx

• Thank you for your response, I think once I know what I’m dealing with it will start to sink in, I will find out on Wednesday about the stage it’s at and what the treatment plan is. 

• Hi Poppy2024,

I am sorry to hear about your diagnosis. How did your mdt review go? I really wish you the best! I hope you are doing okay. 

I was diagnosed with cervical and vaginal cancer on last Wednesday 31st Jan. Cervical cancer month, ironic. I have a ct scan booked for the 12th Feb but still waiting on an MRI appt. To say I am anxious is an understatement. 

• Hi Jadi86,

thank you for your response, I’m doing ok at the moment, my mdt reviewed my case and I am waiting for a PETCT scan to see what stage the cancer is, it hasn’t spread to any other areas except the lymph node’s in my pelvis, its grade 3 but I still don’t know the stage. At the moment the treatment plan is for chemoradiotherapy 5 consecutive days a week for 5 to 7 weeks. 

I am so sorry to hear about your diagnosis and my thoughts are with you, it’s a very difficult time and I totally understand how you are feeling, I hope you get some answers soon and if you need to talk I’m here for you. 

• Hi  and welcome to the group.

I’m sorry to read that you’ve been diagnosed with two different cancers-that must have been a real shock to hear and I’m not surprised you’re anxious.

I help out in both the cervical and vaginal cancer groups due to my own experiences of cancer and treatment/surgery, so you may like to post in the cervical group too and see if you can connect with more ladies? 

It’s a very stressful time waiting for scans, results and a treatment plan, but most of us would say that things become easier once you do have all the information and your team have put together a plan for you. Knowing what you need to focus on actually helps-you know exactly what you’re dealing with.

Please keep us posted on how you get on, and there will be support for you in both of the groups. 

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi Poppy2024,

Thanks so much for your reply, I really appreciate it.

I hope you get your PETCT scan soon! It's not very pleasant to be waiting. I'm sure you'd like to get on with it. That must be a small relief to know it hasn't spread to other areas? Did you have any symptoms etc?

I have been given my MRI and it is also this coming Monday the 12th and I'll go inbon the 21ts for my staging and treatment plan.

Time is going quickly enough so I suppose that is a bonus. 

• Hi SarahH21,

Thank you for your reply. It was indeed a shock. I had a small feeling though something wasn't right. 

Thanks so much for your suggestion. I have done that. A little slow coming to it though. 

• Hi Jadi86, 

i am really pleased you have got a date for your mri scan. 
    I found a lump a while back and I was told it was scar tissue from giving birth, unfortunately it turned into cancer, it was only because it was getting sore that I went back to the doctor, and from there it’s been a little overwhelming. 
    I have got my appointment for my PETCT scan and my treatment planning on the 15th and 19th of February and I saw the oncologist yesterday and I’m aware of everything that comes next. 
    please let me know how you get on with your appointment. 
    if you need a chat anytime I will be happy to talk with you x