My husband has been recently diagnosed

• 2 replies
  • 7 subscribers

Hi everyone, I am so pleased to have found this group.  My husband was diagnosed with CUP in August this year.  He thought he had pulled a muscle gardening and didn't contact the GP for 6 weeks in case the pain in his back abated.  We went on holiday in late June to North Yorkshire and the first couple of days he did two pretty tough hikes on the North Yorkshire Moors.

It went downhill from there and we finally got a diagnosis in A and E in mid August.  The junior doctor on duty (it was during the junior doctors strikes) was obviously very busy and somewhat stressed.  Thy way we found out was he asked if we had had the results of the most recent CT scan.  We hadn't.  "Well it's secondary bone cancer, very extensive throughout the entire skeleton, possibility of complete spinal collapse and oh do you mind if I get my bleep?" and out he waltzed!

Fast forward to now and we still have no idea of the primary, and my husband is getting worse every day.  He is stooped over and almost bent double and the pain is off the scale.  He is 60.  I am still working and was planning to retire in December and we were going to move to North Yorkshire to spend our retirement hiking in the moors.  This disease is so horrible.

• Hi, this sounds like a terrible type of cancer, made worse by the way you found out the disgnosis.

My partner has just been diagnosed with oesophagus cancer. Its not curable. It's difficult to say the least how to respond. We both feel cheated in our late 50s/early 60s. Would be grateful for tips on how to mange. 

• Trevor lost his battle this week. 10 weeks from diagnosis to death. Have you found the charity Jo’s Friends? It’s for CUP. I will be asking for donations to this charity rather than flowers. All the best to everyone on this forum.