I am new here. My husband is diagnosed with CUP.

• 8 replies
  • 8 subscribers

My husband is 56 years old and already has progressive rheumatoid arthritis. This diagnosis was about 9 years ago. He has been treated with immunosuppressive drugs for most of this time and Methotrexate. These drugs all fail after a while and then he is given something else and we carry on. The last drug failure resulted in xrays, scans and then finding shadows behind his left lung. He had lots more scans etc and finally these shadows were found to be tumours in his chest cavity wall. The mystery was that they could not find where they came from. Hence the CUP diagnosis. It was mentioned that his body may have reabsorbed the primary or that it was so small that it was not found yet.

We have now got over the OMG am I going to die soon stuff and have started to research this. My husband is already in pain because his Rheumatoid arthritis drugs have been suspended. The biopsy on the chest tumours caused a lot more pain from cancer pressing on his rib cage. So pain is my husband's main ongoing problem..

On 3rd August 2023 my husband started palliative radiotherapy in the hope that this could control the growth of tumors and so relieve pain. He is on his 2nd treatment as I write, so the pain will get worse before it gets better so we are told..That is the story so far and the basis of my joining this group forum. Thank you for reading!

• Hi. I'm kind of new myself with CUP diagnosis you can read my profile. Which needs to be updated as since Thursday I was told my cancer is incurable, treatment will control it.

I just want clarify I'm reading your post right. Is the cancer incurable? If so then I would suggest joining the "incurable cancer group" for family as well as this group. I only saw those groups the other day.

I was told the same with my primary. After several tests can't be found so either it's tiny, hiding or gone. 

It's just awful for your husband & yourself. All these groups are very supportive & we are all here for each other. Xx

• hi. we are told the cancer is not curable. they are to try and control it with palliative radiotherapy.. i have only just begun my journey in this, so my research so far is at a very early stage. also he has only had 2 radiotherapy sessions so i have no clear idea of how this will pan out today. i am waiting to see what happens and how he responds. i am hoping he can live with the cancer.......but i just do not know yet. will update as time goes on and i learn more about the cancer and the treatments.

• I really hope everything goes ok. Keep us updated. Xx

• Hi sally 

I myself have been on immune suppressant treatment for chrones disease since 2013 , I have had pain in my shoulder area for nearly two years I had been attending the orthopaedics  in this time but he could not find anything apart from wear and tear he said , anyway there was a visible swelling one day and went to my GP who sent me for an ultra sound scan which then led onto a biopsy where cancer was diagnosed in my clevical area I have just finished four weeks of radiotherapy as it cannot be removed because of where it is the mass is amongs nerves etc the radiotherapy which was every day of those four weeks , my oncologist told me that it is a secondary but they cannot find the primary ! Iam now worried out of my mind wondering where it is , Iam sure my immune suppressant treatment has caused this , maybe not but I have a feeling it has

regards Margaret  

• Sorry o meant to mention I have had all the scans there are including the PET scan and they cannot find anything else in my body 

• Yes. The same pretty much happened to my husband. My humble opinion is that the immune suppressant drugs caused this too. Surgery is not possible here either as his tumours are too near his lung and heart etc etc. Anyway.......so radiotherapy is where we are at as I write. I have no great words of wisdom or advice to offer at this point as we do not yet know how the radiotherapy is going to work out. In our case I do know it is not the last option, though we are still just getting to the end of the radiotherapy  and that is as far as we are thinking at this time. At the end of 10 treatments they will wait 3 months before a scan to find out if the tumors have shrunk (or even been contained?) This is the aim at the moment. Too shrink the damn things. If more than that happens even better!!!! but at this time this is as far as we can get with this.

• By the way....I do not think they will ever find my husband's primary either. again...I think the immune suppressant drugs have possibly messed with his system so much his body has reabsorbed the  primary cancer. Like I said it is only my humble opinion.  So we/I are not going to worry about what is not there and concentrate on what we do know. . 

• I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis in my early 30’s and diagnosed with squamous cell carcinoma of unknown primary 21 months ago. I’m now 40 years old. I have also been on methotrexate and biological treatment which was stopped when I got my cancer diagnosis and started chemo. I’ve been told my cancer is incurable. I’m now off chemo and back on methotrexate to help with arthritic pain. It’s so hard dealing with cancer full stop but other health conditions on top make it so hard to navigate symptoms.