Recently diagnosed with CUP

• 2 replies
  • 7 subscribers

Hi everyone,

I have recently been diagnosed with Carcinoma Unknown, CUP.  The next step is a neck dissection with the hope that the tumour/cancer cells on the right side of my neck can identify where the primary cancer is.  I may need a second operation to possibly remove my tonsils and part of my tongue.  This part is not confirmed.  My diagnosis has happened following a routine 2 yearly 360 health assessment provided by my work.  I have no symptoms and the cancer was discovered by chance. 

The results of my 360 medical came back fit and healthy, (all green).  At the end of the assessment, the doctor examined me and could feel a lump on the right-hand side of my neck. I was given an open referral to get checked out.  I went for a scan and the radiologist could not see anything where the 360 Health assessment doctor described.  To be on the safe side the radiologist doctor scanned the other side of my neck and found the tumour by chance.  Still, lots of unknowns. I may also need chemotherapy and radio therapy. 

I am currently waiting for the MDT assessment to happen before my operation is confirmed.  Lots of overwhelming information to unpack in such a short space of time.  I am fortunate that I have no symptoms.  The only thing that is getting me through this period is yoga which I thank can continue for now. My sleep has been impacted severely.

Sending hugs to everyone

• Hi

How are you doing? Have you heard back from the MDT yet?

Although you haven't had any replies to your post here, I can see that you've had lots from those in the head and neck cancer group Slight smile

Wishing you all the best

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi Latchbrook, the MDT meeting is tomorrow.  I have been told to expect an ad hoc call on Wednesday with planned neck dissection on Thursday.  Still waiting on a call from the nurse to explain details....keep waiting.....now news yet.

Thanks