Life expectancy

• 7 replies
  • 8 subscribers

I had to make the really tough decision of knowing how long my oncologist thinks I have… I found out this news today and it’s completely shocked me. Such a hard thing to hear for me and my mum who was present at my appointment. I don’t want to discuss this with anybody else as I don’t feel it’s something others need to know but I’m now so bloody scared. I didn’t expect such little time considering the fact I have been responding so well to treatment. My oncology team are amazing and my nurse said she’d check in with me in the morning but I really want to speak to others who are going through the same. I really need to hear others that were given time and have surpassed it… I need hope!  

• I am so sorry to hear this and it isdevastating news to take in for you and your family - where is your cancer ?? I have had treatement in a room with many people who are years past the prognosis time that they were given - I know it is hard to stay positive but try - look through the stories on here and you will find hope - nothing is ever written in stone and things change - look after yourself and stay as healthy as you can - sending you hugs xxx

• I am so sorry you are going through this. I was told my prognosis last week & totally understand how you are feeling. I've read your profile I'm only a year older than you. It doesn't matter what age you are but being our age you expect many many years left. Since last week don't know if I'm going about this the wrong way but I'm being positive about it. I've read other peoples stories & loads of people are going on longer. If you are responding well to treatment why is the prognosis how it is? Thinking of you & there is hope, we all need hope. Give it a few days to settle in & you will be positive again. Xx

• My cancer had spread to my lungs, groin and spine also developed lesions in my chest since prognosis but it’s of unknown primary. Thank you so much for your kind words, hope and positivity is all we have… I will have a look through the stories, I’m new here so still navigating my way around but thank you for taking the time to send me some positive vibes it’s been a hard few hours since I been told. 

• Thank you for your kind words I too didn’t understand the time frame considering I’ve been off chemo now for 6 months and I’m improving - it didn’t make sense but I was too gobsmacked and scared to ask anymore questions. I am so sorry you yourself are going through something similar and if ever you want someone to talk too please reach out sometimes it’s easier to talk to those not so close and if I can offer the same kindness to make someone feel less alone, I know how important that can be. I know once I’ve taken some time and regained my composure I will (hopefully) get back to the strong positive place I was before this appointment. It’s so isolating but we are not alone xx

• Anytime, we are all here for each other. Xx

• I’m in the same boat as yourself and am doing well at the moment but the prognosis hasn’t changed x

• I’m so sorry to hear that, it’s so hard. My only way to cope is to remain positive but it isn’t always easy x