hemithyroidectomy post op side effects

• 6 replies
  • 20 subscribers

Hi all, this is going to be quite long I do apologise!! Quick info dump... partial right side removal Nov 2023. Was found by accident when I had an MRI of my neck after a fall. From that to removal it was a couple of months, to be honest it was all done so quickly that its not even sunk in that I've actually had cancer (i was totally non symptomatic). Turns out it was follicular, they feel positive that they have removed it all. I've had a few issues with post operative care and decisions going forward because of that, which i think gets somewhat lost in translation when I try to explain myself to the consultant that I'm not against full removal, I'm hesitant because the after care was non existent, yet on all my letters they repeatedly say I've declined surgery and opted for surveillance. I digress... since having the partial removal I have never been so ill in all my life!! Every side effect you can get, I've had. I weighed just under 14 stone before the op, to date, I'm almost 15 stone (Nov 2023 - April 2024). I was started on 50mg levothyroxine as the remaining part of my thyroid isn't coping. then comes the side effects... non stop menstrual bleeding (I'm on the prog only pill so no breaks, I shouldn't bleed at all), pins and needles in hands and feet, weight gain, absolutely zapped of all energy (I've had to reduce my hours at work because i just can't cope and spend my days off mostly asleep all day), chronic hives, freezing cold all the time, every joint aches (I had fibro before all this but now... I'm just in constant pain all over), i have seriously dry skin, I also got a staph infection on my back, and my mental health just dropped off the face of the planet.  I've recently had my levo increased to 75mg, and have a blood test at the end of this month (April 2024). It's just been so overwhelming dealing with all this and mentally I'm really struggling and physically I feel like I'm falling apart. I also suffer from IBS and that's been off the scale trying to deal with all this as well. I just wondered if anyone else has struggled with the side effects this much? I am not the kind of person to reach out like this, but I just don't know where else to turn.

• Hi there...just seen your post and would like to say that basically all your symtoms have been the same as mine even though I did have immediately a full thyroidectomy and have been on 150mg thyroxine for about 3 years now...op was in Dec 2019.  I have got used to all the physical changes etc but yes, I agree, it's very difficult to cope with and also to explain to anyone.  My symptoms were also coupled with long covid! I am now 60 but it has made me feel so much older very quickly.  Just keep trying to stay positive...at least we are still alive. 

Best wishes

• Diane
  • Hi Diane, thank you for the reply. Yes, obviously very grateful that I'm still here to be writing this. I was just given very little information really, I wasn't told what to expect immediately after and long term wise or how I could aid recovery, or even wound care (I know the basics, but still). The attitude from the consultant and the GP RE: side effects has felt very blase, I'm really struggling to cope at home and especially at work, I cant afford to keep having time off (I've just had to have 4 weeks off because of sciatica which isn't any better), I'm only 36 and I feel like I'm about 90! I am trying very hard to stay positive, it's just very difficult when nothing seems to be improving. 

• Yep...again similar to my experience...oncologists asking me if I would like an ultrasound! They find suspicious things, frighten me to death and then poo poo it all, saying let's keep monitoring...people who say they were back to work in 2 weeks or so with no real issues, I simply don't believe!. It's an ongoing situation and I've resigned myself to never really feeling the same as before this adventure started.  No matter what professionals tell me, I still try to look into things myself especially given the state of the NHs at the moment.  I'm sorry if all this sound a little negative but I'm a very realistic person wh was in great health 4 - 5 years ago and quote skinny!! I do find that Macmillan seem to have been my greatest source of support and I can't praise them enough.

On your side

Diane.

• Hi Laura6661, I'm sorry to hear how you are feeling so dreadful after your hemi. I too empathise with ongoing effects but I don't have the same variant as you (mine's Medullary TC) and had a total thyroidectomy and neck dissections, so might not be so helpful. But it has taken nearly 10 months to get my thyroxine dose to the point where my TSH and T4 has come into normal range and yet I still feel so fatigued and yes cold and aches. I also have to be really careful what I eat with not being able to exercise so much due to fatigue and pain from the op and of course altered metabolism due to no thyroid but I am 57 so would have to be careful anyway! My GP has been shocking starting with misdiagnosis for years and I've had very little after care from them too, so I gave up with them. My consultant and CNS are brilliant, although of course you don't get to see the consultant very often but last month he referred me to an Endocrinologist for the fatigue (as my TSH/T4 are ok now). Maybe you could ask for that? My CNS is incredibly helpful in between appointments, could you ask for some help there? 

• Ironically, I thought my CNS was a good send and was very understanding, and then mentioned to me she suspected I might have Hashimoto thyroiditis... said she would look into who would refer me to endo, didn't hear anything back. But then last week had a random phone call from consultant, told him my side effects, and he pretty much dismissed everything I said, I mentioned about still struggling with my voice to which his reply was it was sounding fine (I've only ever seen this consultant once before, so excuse me for not trusting in what he believes my voice should sound and/or feel like). then I remembered what my CNS had said so I mentioned that, and he got VERY defense asking me why i thought I had it, and I explained that I didn't, it was the CNS who suspected etc, then in the background I hear my CNS say she was also on the call, and the consultant asked her why she had mentioned it and she denied that she ever brought it up!!. Needless to say after that phone call i was ready to pull my hair out, but now its made me lose all faith in my CNS. i just feel like they have the attitude of "well its out so you can go away now, your no longer our problem"

• I totally can understand that with regards to the state of the NHS! Haha you don't sound negative at all... I rewrote my first post a few times so i didn't come across as a right downer! I've never been skinny, but the weight I've put on plus the IBS bloat I look like I'm about to give birth! The only real support I've felt has been from my councillor but even getting an appointment with her is a challenge. It's like playing a rigged game of snakes and ladders...