enlarged thyroid?

• 1 reply
  • 21 subscribers

Hi! 

two weeks ago i was sent for some blood work due to what i thought was low iron, i’ve had it before and am experiencing symptoms (tiredness, dizziness, heart palpitations so on) so i just wanted to check them to see if i should be back on the iron tablets or not. 

When i picked up my form there was a whole list of other blood test on there, one of them being thyroid function (i’m not gonna lie, i’ve never even heard of that and didn’t really know what a thyroid is/does). 

I had the blood test and a week or so later i thought i was getting tonsillitis and was feeling my neck to see if my glands were swollen, when i ran my hand down the right front side of my neck i felt a swelling which i’m pretty sure has never been there before. Booked in for a gp appointment the next day and he’s referred me for a scan on the neck. 

got my blood results and they show my thyroid is over active? 

Any one have any advice or any suggestions to help myself not worry that this is cancer, got my scan in 5 days, if they find something what are the next steps? i’m fully convinced this is the worst, i’m not usually one to worry but since having my little girl i’m a lot more cautious about my health as i’m the only active parent in her life… 

• Hi casper99 and welcome to the forum. It's such an anxious time waiting for any results to come in. It would be easy for me to say try not to worry but I know from experience it's hard not to. I'm sure your little girl will be keeping you busy and that's a good distraction. I'm a single parent too so I know what it's like (although my daughter is now 20 and ended up looking after me post op haha!) All you can really do is just take one day at a time, one step at a time. Nothing has been confirmed, so I'd hold onto that thought for now.

It's good that you've been proactive with your health and your GP was thankfully on the ball and you got a scan appointment through promptly.

As for your question about what are the next steps if they find something suspicious, I can tell you what they did in my case although I've learnt from others this seems to vary depending on your consultant/symptoms. But with me, after the ultra sound scan they did a Fine Needle Aspiration the same day to send away for analysis. Mine wasn't conclusive (and many aren't) so then I went back for a biopsy which confirmed mine.

Please do carry on and ask any other questions that come to mind, there are many kind, experienced members on here always willing to help. I wish I'd found this forum a lot sooner than I did. Let us know how you get on, I hope you get some answers soon and I've got everything crossed for you x